GSEC Passed

abnmiabnmi Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
Wow what a test, even for an open book test it was a bear. I passed not what i had hoped for but it definitely helped me narrow down what i need to beef up on. I honestly thought the test was harder than the CISSP.

Comments

• kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Congrats! I have my GSEC exam scheduled for Tuesday, July 7th. Any tips? I thought I was good to go until I saw my results on that first practice exam. Now I'm ...icon_study.gif
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass and good luck to Khaos1911
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • abnmiabnmi Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can say have a good index but also you really have to know the subjects. If you dont understand or know principles you will struggle to search for the answers in the material.
    Yeah, I'm not to caught up on the index. I barely referenced it during my practice exam. I would much rather know the material than to just know what page the material is on.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    abnmi wrote: »
    Wow what a test, even for an open book test it was a bear.

Just curious - how much of the allotted exam time did you use?
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
    All but 30 minutes.
    Did you use your allotted break? You made use of almost all the time provided, and that's a pretty long stretch. I personally can't go through an exam past the two or three hour mark as my mental stamina is limited (which is probably why I'd fail the CISSP). What was your score, if you don't mind me asking? What was your IT experience previous to taking SEC401? When I took my GSEC exam some years back, I already had over a decade of work experience so many things weren't new to me, but the broad subject coverage made the exam a serious kick in the gut.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
    Doc, i took the 15 min break but as i mentioned before the test was indeed a brain burner. My experience in full time IT was about 3 years but i have dabbled on and off do to collateral job duties(retired military) for about 13 years. I can say i learned and believe the test was harder than the CISSP.
    Just finished the GSEC Exam. What a beast! I passed with an 85, I didn't take a break and finished with about 20 mins left on the clock. Not as high a score as I wanted, but I'll take it.
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    abnmi wrote: »
    I can say i learned and believe the test was harder than the CISSP.

I thought it was a lower level SANS exam.icon_confused.gif:
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

The GSEC represents the coverage of SANS SEC401 which is a semi-intro infosec course (which does not mean an introductory IT course). SEC301 is more intro than that, and it's probably way too basic for most who are looking into security training and certifications.

FYI, the GSEC is a GIAC exam, not SANS. SANS provides the training, GIAC the certification program. While very related, the two entities are technically separate organizations. They don't do a very good job marketing this distinction.
    Thanks for the explanation Doc. I would say by no means is is a "lower" level exam. I was thoroughly impressed with it. Wouldn't mind if SANs did a 2 week course to spread it out and add more lol.
    Were you guys extremely tired after the exam or was it just me? I was totally exhausted after, I just went and laid down the rest of the day. I don't think the material was too tough, just the amount of time it took to stay super focused and to double check answers you weren't totally sure of was quite challenging. I even had some questions that I know the subject wasn't in any of my SANS courseware and I just took the class in May. I'm so glad that's over.
  • shauncarter1shauncarter1 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats..I have to renew mine here soon. Did you use the SANS GSEC material? Last exam I took I think you really had to have an index and have listened to the Cole lectures.
    B.S. - Business Administration - 2004
    M.S. - Management Information Systems - 2007
    Doctor of Management specializing in Information Systems - 2017
    Cloud+ - In Progress
    Network Engineer and Online Adjunct Faculty ~ Phoenix, DeVry, StrayerU
    Thanks. Yes, I had an index and the official SANS books, but I didn't have to use my index that much. A ton of the material I just knew from really reading the books and highlighting/plus making notes. I only listened to the Dr Cole lectures on Linux and Windows.

Is that really you Hov? :) and Wu-tang clan ain't nothing to *&^% with!
  • shauncarter1shauncarter1 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks and funny...I've had this handle since 99 and the Wu symbol too. Two of my favorites artists..haha
    B.S. - Business Administration - 2004
    M.S. - Management Information Systems - 2007
    Doctor of Management specializing in Information Systems - 2017
    Cloud+ - In Progress
    Network Engineer and Online Adjunct Faculty ~ Phoenix, DeVry, StrayerU
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    docrice wrote: »
    The GSEC represents the coverage of SANS SEC401 which is a semi-intro infosec course (which does not mean an introductory IT course). SEC301 is more intro than that, and it's probably way too basic for most who are looking into security training and certifications.

FYI, the GSEC is a GIAC exam, not SANS. SANS provides the training, GIAC the certification program. While very related, the two entities are technically separate organizations. They don't do a very good job marketing this distinction.

I was aware of the distinction as I've taken SANS courses before.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe