Vcp5-dcv

LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
I'm curing to know what your thoughts were on additional literature for the VCP5-DCV exam. I'm finishing the course required by VMware this week. I've read through the entire text, done the labs in class and i've been working with VMware for the past 8 or so months.

I've gotten conflicting information, some people say that's enough material to pass the VCP5 - others say it's not. What book(s) would you suggest to additional content when studying for the VCP. I hope to take the VCAP early next year so if a book can be detailed enough for that, that would be a bonus.

Specific book suggestions would be helpful. Scott Lowe? Any others?

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The couse alone is not enough for most people and would not have been enough for me either. I definately would recommend picking up the Scott Lowe book, it is an amazing resource.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • tomtom1tomtom1 Member Posts: 375
    VCAP is on a whole different level but the Mastering VMware vSphere series might give you a good idea.
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Sweet - i've read a few of Scott Lowe's blogs and met him at vmug. Quality book? If so i'll probably get that one.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Scott Lowe's book is worth its weight in gold. Know it end-to-end and you have a decent chance at the VCP and a leg-up on the VCAP-DCA. The DCA will require extensive labbing for a few months and apart from the laggy testing environment it's a great exam. Time management is critical to passing the DCA though.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lab, Scott Lowe book, blueprint,official vmware documentation. I cannot stress enough how important the blueprint and documentation was for me.
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Lowe book is good. I used the following sources as well.

VCP 5 | mwpreston.net

New study guides for VCAP5-DCA and VCP5-DCV exams
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Whatever materials you use, refer to the exam blueprint so you understand what the exam is going to test you on. I would suggest to build a lab to play with the features tested on.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Thanks for the information and helpful hints. I'll pickup the Scott Lowe book next week and study / lab my arse off. Hope to take it this fall.