Looking for advice on setting up home lab

RedGaiterRedGaiter Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to MCSA. I have Server 2012 R2 software, and I'm wondering what route I should go to set up my home study lab.

Do I just need to install Server 2012 on my computer and away I go, or should I set it up on a virtual install, with multiple users on their own separate virtual drives.

Thanks in advance. Much appreciated for any and all help!

Comments

• srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you wanting to use the Hyper-V role to create a virtual network and multiple VMs? Or simply to install and play around with the 2012 R2 OS?
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • RedGaiterRedGaiter Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I really have no idea where to even start with 2012 R2, so I'm guessing the latter - Install and play around with it. But I would like to follow a book or lessons of some sort. I'm just not sure if I need a virtual network or multiple VMs to do so, or what would be my best bet to study/prepare for the exams.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Start off by downloading VMware Player or Oracle VirtualBox and create a VM with Server 2012 R2 installed. Get a feel for the OS and begin the study process. Once you hit a point where you need to expand upon the network and add more VMs, you can go from there.

Ideally for MCSA 2012 studies you would want to boot from Server 2012 R2 on actual hardware and use the Hyper-V role to create the virtual network, however if you own a desktop motherboard you may not have access to chipset drivers that are compatible with Server 2012. You can try to dual boot your machine or boot from a different disk into Server 2012 R2 and see if you run into any drivers issues that are unresolvable due to hardware incompatibility.

Try the VM route first and go from there. I have read that people have created VMs within VMs without serious complications, so that may also be an option. (although I have never tried this myself)
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • RedGaiterRedGaiter Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks so much srabiee! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Currently I'm studying for Linux+ / LPIC-1 because I feel I need to have at least some remedial Linux knowledge, but I'm always looking ahead to my next cert. Which in this case, is MCSA.
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    If you have Windows 8.1 Pro you can use the hyper-V manager on there, that is currently what I have got. I did use VMware but you can't create a VM within a VM.

I do in the future though want to build a dedicated server box for study.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• asegunloluasegunlolu Banned Posts: 38 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Redgaiter, what's your hardware specifications? That can help to decide the best home lab that you can build. The stronger the specs, the more options you have in terms of the labs that you can build.