Best ASA for a lab

DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
hello,
I realize an ASA is not required for ccna security, but I'm thinking of the future. What would be a good choice for NP??

Thanks for all of the advice!!

Comments

• zykezyke Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The bigger the better. But you can manage with 2x5505. At least that's the recommendations I've read.
  • DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice Zyke.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I've been running ASA's on GNS3 on windows 7. It runs great for me. Not sure if you really need to purchase actually firewalls.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ASAv (vmware).
  • zykezyke Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ASAv (vmware).

Could you elaborate? where do I get this new thing called virtual? =)
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    GNS3 and or ASAv

I'd stick to GNS3 personally for NP studies.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    I've been running ASA's on GNS3 on windows 7. It runs great for me. Not sure if you really need to purchase actually firewalls.

Which IOS version are you using?
  • richypcrichypc Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bought the CCNA Security lab book and did 12 out of 15 chapters, the last 3 contained ASA Labs. I was cheap and decided to take the test and passed it regardless. You don't really need it, just watch some ASA 5505 youtube videos take get down what you need to take the exam. At the CCNA Security level it really isn't that much ASA focused; more focus is put on CCP. CCNP Security however is a different monster.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    GNS3 and or ASAv

I'd stick to GNS3 personally for NP studies.

Over a physical lab?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework