Options

A+ help

AgehaniAgehani Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good afternoon,

I took the A+ 801 this morning and I didn't pass but it wasn't by much though. I read the exam cram 6th edition from start to finish and did the practice exam. Can someone give me some strong advice / tips to pass the 801 and 802 test? Books to look or videos or websites for practice questions?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Review your weak areas and reschedule the exam, probably within the next two weeks. If you are close, you likely will get it the next time.

Review the objectives and if you have time, pickup the Meyers text (which is usually the one recommended, but others favor different authors). Several good texts, my preference is Mike's.

Practice questions for this purpose will not benefit you, those are good for accessing strengths and weaknesses to develop a study plan, then a recheck before you take the exam. Meyers text, as well as most other reputable texts will provide you with solid review questions to test your understanding of the material...strive to understand the material.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
  • Options
    DonM34DonM34 Member Posts: 139
    I'm a fan of cram exam, but I feel it's a quick study. I would go with Mike Meyers A+ book, included is a CD with practice exams. Also Professor Messer Videos was one of the main reason I passed the A+ exam. Professor Messer is free and breaks down each area, If you have a weakness he will help you with any topic.
    2014 Goal [ ] CCENT [ ] MCTS (Active Directory) [ ] CompTIA Security+
  • Options
    jesscole76jesscole76 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Skip the scenario questions,,, take the multiple choice first, do the 10 scenario questions last
    your timing will be much better
  • Options
    DonM34DonM34 Member Posts: 139
    I totally agree with @jesscole76, I took that advise during the Network+ exam. I had 54min to spare after answering all the multiple choice questions. Just flag the scenario questions and put your time at the end.
    2014 Goal [ ] CCENT [ ] MCTS (Active Directory) [ ] CompTIA Security+
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    I would recommend you print off the objectives and write your own summary of the topics listed. That way it not only is a great study tool, but it forces you to research areas that are giving you difficulties. If you can grab a computer (or several) take it apart and put it back together, reinstall the operating system, and set up a personal network. You could pretend you were building a computer and put together a list of items to purchase, this will solidify your understanding of the components.
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I second Professor Messer's A+ training. It's free and he is really good at driving important concepts home.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    cliffemancliffeman Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DonM34 wrote: »
    I totally agree with @jesscole76, I took that advise during the Network+ exam. I had 54min to spare after answering all the multiple choice questions. Just flag the scenario questions and put your time at the end.

I wish I would have thought of that yesterday when I took the 802 exam. icon_scratch.gif A couple of those simulations took me by surprise. And ended up taking more time than I should have. By the time I got to the first multiple choice question, there was about 47 mins left. icon_surprised.gif I think I panicked just a little. But finished with about 10 mins to go. Ended up passing with a 813. icon_cheers.gif