When did you?

ShayeShaye Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys
I have a problem, always when I sees people with different certs, while I don't have any cert nor going to have one soon, I'm getting depressed and I wonder now, when did you guys get your first cert (in what age), and what cert was it?
I really hope this sounds ok and not a complex.
Thanks for your time
Shaye.

Comments

• eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    First cert was MCP (woooh) when I was 20.
    witty comment
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I didnt get my first cert until I was 21
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MCP NT 4.0 Workstation. I was 19 (almost 20) and had 1.5 years experience.
  • SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    My first cert was A+, I was 19, I had 6 months experience. I finished up all the certs I have by the time I was 20. Only reason I remember is because all the guys busted my balls b/c I couldn't celebrate any of my certs at the bar...not that there wasn't beer for my MCSE dammit icon_lol.gif
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    Here comes the old guy!!! :P

I got my first one A+ in January of 2005 at the ripe old age of 35. Since then I have gotten MCP in June of 2005 and Network+ in June of 2006. I also passed 70-290 February of 2006 and failed CCNA 640-801 in January of 2006.

Better late than never... icon_lol.gif

BTW, the A+ Cert landed me in the PC Tech job I have now, it was a requirement for the position.
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i got my Net+ at 29 i could have got it when i was 26
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    I got my first cert at age 23 (MCP 70-270)
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I obtained CNE (classic) in 1993 when I was 27. I maintained and upgraded my CNE as Novell required (now have CNE 5 & 6).
    Started Microsoft in 2002 when I was 36. Finally at 40, just recently had the motivation to get my MCSE and a few others.
  • ShayeShaye Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well as far as I see it now, I am not that late, I'm 18 years old and I start studying for my first cert A+ at 21/8/06, I am doing 5 months course, 2 days a week, 4 hours each time (8 hours weekly).
    Although, I have 0% of experience.. (though I do have basic knowledge in OS's/Hardware), but never done anything "real".
    You think I will have to work very hard to pass the exams? more than others? (I'm talking about A+/MCSA/MCSE)..
    Plus I'm in the army at the moment so it doesn't leave me with spare time.
    Thanks again everybody.
    Shaye.

* I got to say, I am going to study becuase I want to have the knowledge, and becuase I love everything that is Computers related, not becuase that I want to get a job or anything.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    My first cert was Net+ when I was 22 with 3 years experience & a college degree. I still remember the ride home, I was let down by how easy it was but still glad to pass.
  • mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    I did A+ when I was 23 (2002), I had been working on a help desk for 4 years. A year later I wound up in a desktop support job and wrote my Net+ (2003). Then after a year break I studied my MCP for Windows XP (70-270, 2005) and Windows Server 2003 (70-290, 2005). Now I am the Technical Lead/Network Administrator and will be writing my Infrastructure exam tomorrow (70-291) for my MCSA. I am aiming to do 70-293 and 70-294 before the end of the year. I'm almost 27 and the combination of a college diploma, years of experience in multiple roles, and certifications which reflect that experience and prepare me for the next step in my career is very empowering. There is no such thing as too late, and it's especially important that my employer is very supportive and encouraging with respect to training/certification/self-improvement. After my MCSE is complete, I plan on tackling my CCDA and then some leadership oriented training to prepare myself for a move into an architect or service delivery role.
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    strauchr wrote:
    I got NT4 Server (and remember the Net Essentials you had to pass too?) when I was 32 with 2 years experience.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    I got my Net+ about a month from 23, a little after I started getting serious with the girl who is now my wife, and realized I needed to find a better job. Funny how that changes your priorities...
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First cert a few months ago (currently 19)
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    strauchr wrote:
    I got NT4 Server (and remember the Net Essentials you had to pass too?) when I was 32 with 2 years experience.

I passed Network Essentials, WS and Server. Then the company I worked for switched me to 2000 and I never got the NT 4 MCSE. So close :)
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I got my CNA (Netware 3.12) when I was 22. I had experience managing a small network with two servers and a couple of hundred clients, and when I got a new job at an outsourcing (nationally) company I convinced them to pay for my exam. I hardly studied for it, figuring I would be able to do it just because I had experience, but even though I did pass, it was one of the most challenging exams I did up to then and remember my score was very low. It impressed my employer nevertheless, even got a small raise, so I was motivated to continue for others, continued with MCSE NT 4 shortly after. Been a cert-fan since :)
    sprkymrk wrote:
    and remember the Net Essentials you had to pass too?
    Sure do.
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    Shaye wrote:
    Well as far as I see it now, I am not that late, I'm 18 years old and I start studying for my first cert A+ at 21/8/06, I am doing 5 months course, 2 days a week, 4 hours each time (8 hours weekly).
    Although, I have 0% of experience.. (though I do have basic knowledge in OS's/Hardware), but never done anything "real".
    You think I will have to work very hard to pass the exams? more than others? (I'm talking about A+/MCSA/MCSE)..

That's about what I did...if you have a computer background, the exams will be easy for you -- A+ anyway. I have been messing around with computers longer than some of you guys have been alive icon_eek.gif Now I really feel old!!!!!

I grew up in the age of DOS and Basic programming and also Fortran, Pascal, and C+, and some Cobol. I never got too heavy into some of those, but at the time, it was big stuff!!! Anyway, with that kind of background, the A+ exam was easy. The XP exam (70-270) was not bad either since using Windows is an everyday thing for us now. 70-290 was a little easier for me, having the schooling helped and lots of practice exams. 70-291 was not a good experience, but with a new home network to run and more practice I think I will nail it next time and get that MCSA!

Plus, it depends on how well you learn things and retain them. My memory is the worst, except for things I enjoy, and computers are one of them so I tend to remember this stuff fairly well. Nothing beats hands on though, get as much of that as you can! :)
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • xcanucxcanuc Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Crap I feel old. Net+ at the age of 34.
    Steve
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Don't feel so bad. I finally got the nerve to take the exam in February I think it was. I turned 40 in January.

Granted, I had 3 MS tests (two towards MCSA/MCSE 2000 and Exchange 2000) and as I said maintained my CNE.

My obtaining my CNE originally wasn't bad though. The tests were adaptive and the test would end at the minimum # questions to pass, or maybe one more. I was usually out of a test in 15 minutes. It was 7 tests back then, and I took 2 at a time back to back same day.
    You had that stupid network essentials test too.

For the CNE, I signed up for a bootcamp and was shipped 2 boxes of books. Remember them red books? I overstudied thinking I needed to know all them commands instead of what was in them white courseware books.
  • kaur812kaur812 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MCP (70-270 - Windows XP) few months ago (at the age of 17) with no formal experience (I have been repairing friends' computers for some time), currently studing for 70-290.
  • got A+ when I was 16. Started studying for it when I was 15. Now I'm 19 and much much more lazy lol.
  • Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    I got my A+ at 15, and got my Security+ this year, at 16.

While I have some free time duing this summer, I might try out 70-270.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    I line up well with a few of the older guys...

1994 (at age 24, and having been in the "Data Processing" or "Management Information Systems" jobs for 4 years) took the Novel CNA (3.12) (and Advanced Administration Exam) while implementing and administering my company's first (non-Mini computer) ethernet network.

Eventually was promoted in 1997 to MIS Manager, and in 1999 to Director of IT, and in 2000 to VP (of a small Insurance Administration Company). Once I moved into management, other than specific projects, it was tough for me to get hands on, on a daily basis, and often was evaluating resumes or consultant qualifications that started showing up certs. So in 2000, as a VP of a non-technical company, I decided to continue taking classes when I could, and forcing myself to commit to studying for and passing an exam at least once a year... this helped me to qualify the difficulty and content of a few certifications... as well as helped me to keep current with a few of my skills (and independently validated that I did learn the concepts, at least by their standards).

Certification is a good option I think, especially for trade occupations. I'm not sure these Bachelor of IT degrees that popped up at the "remote" Universities add any more value (although they are happy to put you in debt and promise the big pay day... which will only come to those that apply the skills they were taught in some hands-on fashion).

You are never too young to get a certification, but the real value in them is not the paper, its the time you take to ingest the information, learn the terminology to be able to talk intellegently on a topic, and from some hands-on learning. That why to most, cheating your way through by using brain-**** or other methods to get a piece of paper, is worthless, as it does nothing for you (although you might think it does in the short term to get a job or having something on your resume)... not to mention the karma icon_twisted.gif

I believe I'm addicted to taking certs, but I also love just working (where I seem to really learn new things or how to do things a new way), so with only a few hours a week to give, it has been difficult to study efficiently to pursue any advanced certifications or degree. If only it was part of my job!

Take Care,
    Rcoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • aacarandangaacarandang Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good day to all,,,

I am pusuing for MCP 70/270 certification and if God Willing then the MCSA or MCSE certifications.

is studying 3 hrs per day enough for this course...

can anybody give me some tips and if you know the good books which i can use for the MCP 70/270 certifications.

i have a CBT nuggets CD, is this enough or sould i buy more tools...

thanks and more power
  • OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    This thread makes me feel alot better. Why? Because it's hard to get motivated and a combination of my being lazy, my sleep habits and my family issues, it makes studying very difficult.

Needless to say, my certifications are lacking compared to most of you here, but seeing as I'll be 20 in August, I feel alot better about not having as many certifications as I should or would like to. Somewhat reinforces the thought I have more time...

- Joey
  • wizarddeathwizarddeath Member Posts: 115
    Got my first Cert at 21, Hopefully will have my MCP by the time I turn 22. Just kept putting off certs till I was fed up with my job and determined to move on to the IT field. Still waiting to make the move though....
    70-291 Next....
    rcoop wrote:

I believe I'm addicted to taking certs, but I also love just working (where I seem to really learn new things or how to do things a new way)
    Rcoop

Couldn't agree more...I too believe I am addicted to taking certification exams...the challenge of starting the whole study process over again for a new cert can be difficult, but it's sure fun reminding yourself that eventually you'll get the certification.
  • jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    First certification was at age 25. Windows 95. In April of 1997. I was then an MCP. When I received my welcome kit from Microsoft I learned that I could become an MCSE. Later that same year I passed both A+ exams plus 6 more Microsoft exams to obtain MCSE certification as well as MCP+Internet.

It seemed easier obtaining certification as a single guy with not a lot of responsibilities. Now that I have a wife and a new daughter, it's a lot harder to get study time although I was still able to complete 2000/2003 MCSA and 2000/2003 MCSE. A lot of credit goes to my wife and daughter for being patient with me during times of certification. When I come home with a new book or when a new book arrives at the doorstep from Amazon, she kind of already knows the drill if it's a big fat one. She'll usually ask and I usually explain if the new book is for reference or certification. That kind of sets the tone for the next month.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    jasonboche wrote:
    It seemed easier obtaining certification as a single guy with not a lot of responsibilities. Now that I have a wife and a new daughter, it's a lot harder to get study time although I was still able to complete 2000/2003 MCSA and 2000/2003 MCSE.
    Jas

I give you and everyone else in your position a lot of credit. I could not imagine in my wildest dreams juggling both a family and certification at the same time, but then again...I still have a lot to learn.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    xcanuc wrote:
    Crap I feel old. Net+ at the age of 34.

Nah - old is Supertech icon_lol.gif

I only got into this game a few years ago - was like 43 or 44 when I sat A+, Net+ and a couple MCPs within a few month period. After screwing up with Sec+ I have yet to get enthusiastic about studying once again icon_confused.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007