Switch equivelant to TCP/IP Vol I and II books

ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
Been googling a bit, and see multiple resources thrown out there, much of it is just materials in general like blogs / videos / training courses, wondering if there is one or two particular books that really hit the nail on the head for switching concepts. I see BCMSN mentioned a few times, but was hoping there may be one well respected tome for foundational switching concepts from the ground up to CCIE level.

Thanks! icon_study.gif

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Cisco LAN Switching by Clark and Hamilton is probably the closest thing. I've only spot read through it though and it has't been updated in quite some time.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    There is not a huge difference between the CCIE and CCNP level knowledge in terms of switching concepts. I would just get the CCNP SWITCH book.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Agree with networker. Cisco LAN Switching is a pretty good book, just ignore the CatOS stuff. :) It has some stuff in there that I've never seen mentioned in any other book. The SWITCH FLG would probably be pretty good too.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agree with networker. Cisco LAN Switching is a pretty good book, just ignore the CatOS stuff. :) It has some stuff in there that I've never seen mentioned in any other book. The SWITCH FLG would probably be pretty good too.
    I totally agree! Brian McGahan from INE actually makes the recommendation to read LAN Switching in his CCNP SWITCH training videos. Most of the information is still relevant.
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879

Do you remember enough to give a very brief overview of the topics only mentioned in that book?
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    Do you remember enough to give a very brief overview of the topics only mentioned in that book?
    I thought his coverage of vanilla spanning tree was very thorough and complete, and even used a term (exception BPDU processing) that I had never seen mentioned elsewhere. He also had nice coverage of L2 forwarding and the IGMP/CGMP process which I liked. It's been a couple of years since I read it, so that's all I remember exactly.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%