Options

WGU or Koenig Solutions?

Jarhead2011Jarhead2011 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, Looking to further my career and want some of your opinion between doing a WGU BS course or going to Koenig Solutions for the CCNA course. Is going the BS route much more beneficial than just getting certs in certain areas of expertise or not? Thanks in advance.
"Getting information off the internet is like drinking water from a fire hydrant" - Michell Kapor
2013/2014 Certifications
CCNA R&S Project Management SQL 2008/2012
Currently Reading: Network Warrior 2nd Ed.

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges. Personally, I would say try to do both academic qualifications and professional certifications. You haven't listed in this thread what you do and what you have already, so I can't really give a more specific opinion :)
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    If you have a Bachelors go with Koenig, if you don't go with WGU. That degree is a huge HR check. I have 14 years of experience and I still get hit by the HR check a lot.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Koeing is very expensive. I would go with WGU and at least try to get a degree out of it.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    You don't say what you would be doing with Koeing, it could be that you could self-study or attend your local college to get those professional certs :)
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    It depends what you mean by expensive. I have to get certified for a DOD job in Solaris. I asked my company to pay for the classes. IT was a two parter at about 3K each. The classes weere to be given at ORacle and I would have had to travel. I contacted Koenig, there class was a little over 3K, plus another $2500 in air faire. Lodging included, breakfast and dinner. No one else wanted Solaris, so it was me and the instructor. Voucher included. I didn't take the test there. I returned to the US and took the tests. I scored 88 I think on the first one, and very high 90ties on the 2nd. I was very pleased with the class and what I got out of it. The first time I'd really been out of the US, I don't consider TJ or Montreal to be much of a stretch, so India was quite different. I'd go back for Red Hat, but I'm now nearing retirement.
  • Options
    country28341country28341 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I personally would go through WGU. The cost is a great deal.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    WGU is a good deal for sure.