Study Material for CompTIA Security+

Biza21Biza21 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all

This is my first posting and looking for some advice.

I would like to know what is the best study material for Comptia Security+ certification, I have very little background in the IT field.
A new job is requiring the Security + certification and I want to start on working on obtaining the certification.

Thanks,

Biza

Comments

• Rocket ImpossibleRocket Impossible Member Posts: 104
    Most here would probably recommend Darril Gibson's CompTIA Security+ Get Certified, Get ahead, as well as a subscription to the premium content on his website. It certainly helped me. I also used the MeasureUp practice tests, and supplemented that with some Professor Messer videos. I like to use multiple sources just to make sure I have all my bases covered. How much you will need will depend on how much IT and security experience you have.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hi there and welcome. The absolute best material you can use is Darril Gibson's book. Here is a link. It is the most recommended book in the industry in my opinion. Such an easy read with great analogies that let you see the bigger picture of why security is implemented in every part of a network. It is a good eye opener.

Secondly, you will want to view and watch Professor Messer's Free Sec+ videos on his site. They are broken up in convenient, easy to digest 10-15 minute long clips. He is recommended all the time as a supplement to any CompTIA training course. When you start a chapter in Darril's book, read the covered topics on the chapter page, it will let you know which videos of Messer's to watch.

Another helpful tip is to then watch the videos FIRST. This way you have an idea of what you will be reading, allowing you to read much much easier than if you were to read first.

Here are the links to both.
    CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide

Professor Messer's Free CompTIA Security+ Videos

Also, a "newer" version of the exam got realeased last month. the SY0-401. Study material is lacking, and people are still using Darril's 301 book as he didnt release a newer one. You can take this if you want, but there is no need as the only thing that changed pretty much is the slight change in certain topic's weight on your final score with a tiny ammount of "newer" things. You can continue to test the SY0-301 for the near future(enough time to study and pass [I suggest this route]).
    Here is a link explaining that. Difference between SY0-301 and SY0-401.

Darril Gibson states you can pass this exam in about 45 days. I did it in about 60. So your milage may vary. Many complete it within this time frame of 45-60 days.

Good Luck and feel free to spark up any conversations about questions you have. icon_thumright.gif
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • OcarusOcarus Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also studying for this test. I got Darrill's book on kindle for 5.00$. He also has a great website getcertfiedgetahead.com.
  • StevenP2013StevenP2013 Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A used exam cram book on ebay or amazon for $10 or less should be all you need to pass A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, and some other entry level certs. After I passed, I handed the books off to coworkers and they were able to pass too. If you are looking for supplemental material and on a budget like most, there are tons of videos on youtube that would help with areas you are weak in.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I concur, use Darril's book and mobile app.
  • Biza21Biza21 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you every one, very good guidance and looking forward to start studying.

Jorge
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used the Stewart Sybex review guide. I'd recommend the larger study guide if you have little to no experience in the related security concepts tested on the exam.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • JB3JB3 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    I concur, use Darril's book and mobile app.

This is what I am using to study - seems to be the popular choice.
  • michealsean69michealsean69 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am new to the site and have been studying a bit over the last few months. How good are the cbt nugget videos. I have access to them from work for free and am wondering if they cover enough to take the exams.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    I used the Stewart Sybex review guide. I'd recommend the larger study guide if you have little to no experience in the related security concepts tested on the exam.

The Sybex text is outstanding! There are other texts that are no where as complete. If looking for a quick review consider the cram books or passport book for the general overview.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • DrethylDrethyl Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was looking at the Darril book as well but the most up to date one I see that is available is 301. And since the newest one is 401 should i go with Sybex CompTIA Security+ Study Guide: SY0-401 instead?
    Sybex is a better text. The other book is mostly a glossary and yes, I have copies to compare. If you are looking to learn about the SEC+ material and have limited experience! you will gain a more well rounded overview from the Sybex text.

Now, that stated, you can just as easily download the objectives for free from CompTIA and search out all the topics on your own! learning as you go! and be very well prepared. Sometimes is it Helpful to have an author explain parts, but you are always free to ask questions on the he specific areas you do onto understand here (well, in a new and appropriate thread).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

I already have my A.S.S. in Networking Engineering and am about to finish my B.A. in Networking Cyber Security. It has been brought to my attention that Security + might be the best cert to go for first. I'd like to get a job right out of college ideally and an associates and bachelors are mandatory but it looks like most job postings require a cert or two with it as well. The job experience requirement is another thing all together. Thanks for the response Plan.
  • IT_NerdIT_Nerd Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @plantwiz
    IS the only place to buy them from Sybex website? The book is on back order. I guess I'll try eBay.
    CompTIA-Security-Study-Guide-SY0-401

That's where I bought mine. It's the 401 version I dont know if you need the 301 instead.
    IT_Nerd wrote: »
    @plantwiz
    IS the only place to buy them from Sybex website? The book is on back order. I guess I'll try eBay.

No, local bookstores usually carry it. Many libraries (at least good libraries unlike my local one). Barnes and Nobel. Alibris. Amazon. Abebooks. Etc...

There is nothing I will buy from eBay personally, certainly not books.
    Plantwiz
    _____

Amazon has it for $34 that's where I got mine. The only thing that wasn't included was the cd.
    Did you buy the text used? Because any new text will have a cd. Most resellers I have seen note this in their description. The cd is not needed anyway.
    Plantwiz
    _____

Plantwiz wrote: »
    Did you buy the text used? Because any new text will have a cd. Most resellers I have seen note this in their description. The cd is not needed anyway.

I bought mine directly from amazon and it was stated as new. I was kind of bummed out about not getting the cd but I think I can download mostly all of it from the website.