CCIE v5 Lab

TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
What are you all using to lab for the CCIE v5 lab? Rack Rental, GNS3 or something else?

I'm thinking about buying INE's Workbook and purchasing Rack Rental time. Has anyone used INE for Rack Rental? What do you think?

Thanks

Comments

• lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    I use a combination of GNS and INE rack rental. I have used a few sessions with the INE v5 rack setup and thought it was pretty good. There were a few issues but nothing show stopping.
  • TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
    Thanks for your reply, Irb. Did you buy the INE Workbooks as well?
  • seittitseittit Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    using IOU; consider it a free version of INE's service that runs locally within a VM on your machine. you can find all of INE's lab setups and pre-exams online if you can google better than my two year old sister.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    speaking of IOU, is it enough to use only with GNS3 and IOU to prepare for CCIEv5?
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    For me, the many bugs in IOU make it not worth using in any Mock Lab scenarios. if you do decide to use it, make sure you run a 15.x code version.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • jeff113jeff113 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I plan on using real equipment.
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    ccnpninja wrote: »
    speaking of IOU, is it enough to use only with GNS3 and IOU to prepare for CCIEv5?

My experience is that gns3/dynamips is kind of broken when it comes to DMVPN/mGRE/IPsec stuff, but your miles may vary as I didn't use the latest dynamips (it's in development with regular releases atm). The errors I got were mostly about control plane packets getting corrupted as they went through the DMVPN cloud, and I have no idea why or know how to find out why. As far as I'm concerned, if you are going virtual and not using the real stuff (csr1000v) you might as well use IOU for L3. I recently did INE's entire BGP section and had a 100% success rate.
  • StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    Check out web-iou. It's basically IOU prepackaged into a linux VM. It has a few kinks and nuances to get used to, but once you do it's very capable.
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    TBickle wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, Irb. Did you buy the INE Workbooks as well?

I got the All Access Pass for 2 years which cost me a bit under $2000 for two years and included about 1500 tokens at the time (assuming 6 tokens per session, this works out to about 250 hours). Pretty good value really considering it includes all the videos for all CCIE tracks as well.
  • JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    I set up IOU-WEB last night in VirtualBox. I was able to replicate the INE topology (20 routers and 4 switches) and run all the routers/switches. I didn't go past verifying each device came up and was able to enter configuration mode, but it does seem promising. The resource requirements weren't that bad either. I gave the VM only 1 CPU, 1 Core, and 4Gb of RAM. It took about 8 minutes to boot all 24 devices, but that isn't too bad honestly.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hybrid of real equipment and CSR's

I'm able to run 20 CSR's and I've got 4 switches and 5 physical routers (3x1841 and 2x3745 i've been loaned)
  • networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Using CSR1000Vs. I have booted up 20 CSRs with my current ESXi host and was able to. Though, it wasn't running any routing protocol so not sure how great it'll perform once everything is up and running. Currently, the INE labs that I've been doing aren't taking enough resources to worry about it yet. Then again, I've only done basic labs with 10 CSRs. I have four 3560s (two were borrowed from work) that can run 15.0 code and that should be enough for INE's workbooks.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i'm more fond of web-iou been using it a while
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Sa'adSa'ad Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Using INE's CSR setup with 4 brand new 3560Xs. I also have the v4 INE setup which I use from time to time which consists of 5 2800s and 1 3800 and 1 3700 routers.
    INE v4 volume 1
  • JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    keenon wrote: »
    i'm more fond of web-iou been using it a while

I'm the same way. It is just so easy to use and no where near the resources requirements of other options.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Have you hit many bugs with web-iou?

The extra resource wasn't an issue for me as I have an i5 based server anyways - I just needed to add RAM. For the sake of the 20GB of RAM - I am confident that I won't hit a bug with the CSR's but that's my preference.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Have you hit many bugs with web-iou?

The extra resource wasn't an issue for me as I have an i5 based server anyways - I just needed to add RAM. For the sake of the 20GB of RAM - I am confident that I won't hit a bug with the CSR's but that's my preference.

There are a handful you will run into but mostly its accepted and if i'm thinking that it is or not sure i switch over to gns3 in a smaller setup to verify
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • GuyManDudeGuyManDude Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Using CSR1000Vs. I have booted up 20 CSRs with my current ESXi host and was able to. Though, it wasn't running any routing protocol so not sure how great it'll perform once everything is up and running. Currently, the INE labs that I've been doing aren't taking enough resources to worry about it yet. Then again, I've only done basic labs with 10 CSRs. I have four 3560s (two were borrowed from work) that can run 15.0 code and that should be enough for INE's workbooks.

Would you be kind enough to draw a quick pic of how you wire all this stuff up (virtually and physically) please?
  • KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am using GNS3 with the 3750 switch and rack ofr 3560s hope this is effective but looks good.
  • MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    IOU is all you need and the new topology is already been created and available to anyone looking to study the CCIE.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5