How many hours do you study a week?

For those in full time work how many hours a week do you study? Do you study one subject at a time or do you split your time over multiple subjects?

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    1 -2 subjects tops. Anymore than that I begin to turn into a Ferrari on a hill covered in ice. Lots of effort but very little traction.

5 hours a week is what I manage
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    I do mines in pages, so I try and read atleast 50 pages a day with my SANS studies. I can't wait till I'm done with this freaking GSEC exam.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Enrolled in WGU and work full time. I study 3-5 hours a day. I have the advantage of being able to study at work when it's slow. I tried working on certs and school at the same time at one point, but it slowed down my school progress so I don't do that anymore. I only work on one subject at a time, can't handle any more than that.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Currently studying 40+ hours a week as I can. I try to stick to 1-2 subjects. Right now I'm on my CCNP DC so going one book and video series at a time.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I study about 18 hours a week at work, another 4-6 at home. I'm sticking with one subject at a time.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My goal is 2 hours a day. Some days I do 4hrs and others I do none so I probably average 12 -15 hours a week.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    about 8 hours a week study for me and then normal most of a Saturday and Sunday when I'm not doing laundry and other daily chores.
  • praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Currently studying 40+ hours a week as I can. I try to stick to 1-2 subjects. Right now I'm on my CCNP DC so going one book and video series at a time.

Iris;

How do you accomplish that with a full time job???
    My work is a combination of work from home, office work, and labbing. I'm usually always home by 5PM so I start studying then until midnightish unless I have something to work on from work. I usually throw the amount of hours I can in on the weekend but usually I take 5-6 hours off a weekend to go do some fun stuff
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not studying at the moment, but it used to depend.

Net+ - Didn't studied since I had just got out of 2 months of equivalent training for the military .

Sec+ - A few hours over a week, about 2 hours the night before.

CEH - an hour at work each day, about 90 minutes when I got home.

CCNA - about 3 hours at work and about 2 hours at home. I was working nights so I was able to study a lot more than usual.

CISSP - Did not study at work, studied 2-3 hours a day at home Mon-Thurs, about an hour on Fridays, 6-8 hours on Saturdays, and a couple of hours on Sundays.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I usually study 2 hours every weekday and 6 or so hours on either Saturday/Sunday. Got to give the family some time too!

When I have exams coming up, I'll ramp it up. Now that my DTA exam is 7 days away, I've been putting in 4 hours every day this past week. You gotta do what you need to do!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    On a good week I can get 50-60 hours study done. In general though it can be as low as 20-30 hours. All depends on the workload and other things going on. CCIE and life is a juggling act, but by no means impossible.
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I started an internship 2 weeks ago, before that I stopped studying completely for about 5 months (after getting my Sec+).

Since im learning new stuff anyway (when the IS staff actually have time!) I've had maybe 10 hours a week to study. This comes in the form of videos while on the train (25 minutes and return) and around 1 or 2 hours a day during downtime. I'm studying for the ITILv3 while learning basic Active Directory administration, and even certain IT concepts you learn before you have a job and you have the change to "realize" them when working in an IT environment.
  • SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    3-4 hrs Monday-Friday after work.
    8-12 hrs Saturday-Sunday.
    takes 6 month to achieve a number.
  • devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lots of studying

I wish I had that kind of focus. I'm lucky that I can pick up material quickly, but I usually have to take breaks every 20-30 minutes or so because my attention starts to drift.

Now if I'm working on a problem at home, like for instance something where I have a clearly defined goal (setting up a home domain and adding all my computers/laptops to it), I usually lose track of time and get really wrapped up in what I'm doing, forget to eat, etc. But those times are rare.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Probably averaging 20 hours a week. Depends how rough the work week is.

This week I had two sleepless nights.. pretty painful I didn't get much studying done this week...

Usually do two hours during the weekdays after work/gym/dinner.. Depending on my plans over the weekend I spend around 5-8 studying on Saturday/Sunday.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • sasnimrodsasnimrod Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Usually the bulk of my studying is done during the weekend. Per week I usually do 15-20 hours of studying.

The only thing that bothers me is that after a day's work my ability to focus is not at its' best.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I probably study more consistently when I am NOT actually preparing a for certification. That's probably because I get to choose the topics that I am interested in although the topics are more varied. I like to study in 2-4 hour chucks. Right now, I usually spend about 16 - 24 hours a week. Generally, I focus on topics which do not take more than 2-4 hours to absorb and I keep it to small focus topics.
  • The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    I'd be lucky to put in an hour per day during the week and maybe 4-5 hours per day on a weekend. However, this is all dependent on my work schedule.

If I had a long day at work - I may have to skip studying for a day or two. I wish I could be as motivated as Iristheangel!
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...
    I don't know if it's motivation as much as OCD-like behavior. Thankfully, I have a spouse that is tolerant of it.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • swellbowswellbow Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It really depends on the cert. I find it easier to internalize some subjects moreso than others.. if it's something I'm not overly familiar with, I have to be careful about attacking it too much or I tend to get burned out and fail to absorb much of what I'm reading. I try to do 2 or 3 hours a day at this point.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I don't know if it's motivation as much as OCD-like behavior. Thankfully, I have a spouse that is tolerant of it.

Amen to that.
    My case is 7 to 10 hours a week. Usually on train rides in and out if the city
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I study around 10-15 hours a week at most gotta have my gaming time. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i try 1 1/2 to 2 hours per day during the week and 3 to 4 per day at weekends, usually after me daughter has gone to bed
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do most of my reading and notetaking during work hours. (Good thing there is a decent amount of dead time)
    Which is about an hour to an hr and a half each day

When I get home I usually try to squeeze an hour or so on certain but most times I just want to relax and shut down for the day. Usually have no energy to do much between commuting home then doing a workout and getting home after all of that.

Laziness I know
  • country28341country28341 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I try to study 1-2 hrs a night and at least 4 hrs on the weekend