CCSA R76 Passed

This was my first Check Point exam, so wasn't sure what to expect. I had taken an R76 course earlier this year and had the CP course book and lab manual, but I don't know that it would've been sufficient on its own to pass the exam.

I highly recommend the CBT Nuggets videos for the CCSA, as well as the practice exam available on the Check Point website. And of course, lab, lab, lab.

Best of luck,
BMcG

Comments

• riccardoslriccardosl Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This was my first Check Point exam, so wasn't sure what to expect. I had taken an R76 course earlier this year and had the CP course book and lab manual, but I don't know that it would've been sufficient on its own to pass the exam.

I highly recommend the CBT Nuggets videos for the CCSA, as well as the practice exam available on the Check Point website. And of course, lab, lab, lab.

Best of luck,
    BMcG

Hi congratulations!
    I'm going for the exam too, how many questions did you have?

Is there a lot regarding user authentication and VPN?

Thank you
  • Bert McGertBert McGert Member Posts: 122
    I had 100 questions. Can't really speak to the specifics of what was covered, but it covered everything in the study guide.
  • NetworkEng756NetworkEng756 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!!
  • karnivorkarnivor Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Bert! First of all congratulations on passing the exam!
    I am thinking of begining studying to CCSA.
    Could you please help me with some questions I have?

Is there a R77 version of the exam yet?
    How long did you take since you started studying until you've passed the exam?
    In terms of studying material, you talk about a course book and lab guide. Where can I find it? I have been searching for studying material, and I have not found a guide yet. And is this guide worth it?
    The final question I have is: from your experience, what is the best study sequence we can do to pass the exam?
    ex: CBT Nuggets -> Study Guide -> Labs....

Thanks in advance!
    The best of luck in your next certifications!! icon_study.gif
    Q: Is there a R77 version of the exam yet?
    A: Doesn't appear so, but if that's something you're keen on, keep checking Check Point's CCSA and/or Pearson Vue site.

Q: How long did you take since you started studying until you've passed the exam?
    A: About 2 months I'd say, but I have a full-time job and two young kids. It took me as long as it took me to feel prepared for the test. My advice is to not worry about how long it takes others, but to take the time you need to actually learn the material. It's not one to sleep on, you won't pass by reading through things once.

Q: In terms of studying material, you talk about a course book and lab guide. Where can I find it?
    A: I rec'd mine as part of a training course that my employer paid for me to attend.

Q: I have been searching for studying material, and I have not found a guide yet. And is this guide worth it?
    A: Frankly, I found the official study material to be poorly written and may have been a first draft that was rushed to print. The CBT Nuggets course, on the other hand, is very well organized. Can't recommend it enough.

Q: The final question I have is: from your experience, what is the best study sequence we can do to pass the exam?
    A: Whatever it takes to actually learn the material, everyone's different. Read things, lab them, struggle, lab some more, re-read, re-lab, and re-assess. Then take the Check Point practice exam. Rinse & repeat as needed.
  • moyondizvomoyondizvo Member Posts: 155
    Congrats Bert ... Nice work
    Hello Bert!
    First of all thank you for your quickly reply! icon_thumright.gif You have been very helpful!

I just have two more questions, if you have the time to help me:
    - As I don't have the book with the LAB guide, what LABs do you recommend for me to do? You did the labs you had in the LAB book you received from your company right?
    - As I also don't have the student guide, I am thinking of studying from the documentation available in Checkpoint Website, like for example Application and URL Filtering: http://dl3.checkpoint.com/paid/bc/CP_R75.20_ApplicationControlURLFiltering_AdminGuide.pdf?HashKey=1404945722_608391df36788ba77e2d8db9d6192534&xtn=.pdf . Do you think this is a good practice? I think this checkpoint guides have a lot of information we will not need for the exam, am I right? It will take me ages to read through all this documents, but it is all I have.
    - Apart from this, I only have the CBT Nuggets videos. The videos itself are not enough, am I right? I have some experience with checkpoint equipments, but for the time being I cannot say I am an expert...

Thanks a lot m8!! icon_thumright.gif
    Hey karnivor,

As far as the lab work goes, mocking up the one in the CBT Nuggets series is quite sufficient. The one in the official lab manual is no better than the one in the videos, so don't worry about that. They're both simply network topologies that all allow for the good examples and practice of how functionalities work (NAT, VPN, routing, etc).

I wasn't able to view the link you provided, but no matter. I think that if you use the CBT videos and take note of *any* items you need clarification on, either search CP support if you have access to it or simply Google around.

Don't worry about being an expert, it's just the CCSA. Just be solid in what they want you to know for this test.
  • suresh26.rajsuresh26.raj Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Bert,

Congratulations on CCSA!!! I am a big fan of checkpoint technology when it comes to firewalls, not much fun in Cisco,juniper or Fortinet comparatively with CP.

I have been working on this product since 2007-till date. I have completed my CCSA R71 in 2011 but could not complete my CCSE because of which my CCSA R71 is expired.

My query is I can see R77 is launched both in Pearson and checkpoint site as CCSA-156.215.77, Is R76 i.e., CCSA-156.215.76/156.215.13 is still valid or expried ? its only a matter of time for me to schedule and take an exam. But as I explained above, my only worry is whether CCSA R76 is still valid.
    Hello Bert,

Congratulations on CCSA!!! I am a big fan of checkpoint technology when it comes to firewalls, not much fun in Cisco,juniper or Fortinet comparatively with CP.

I have been working on this product since 2007-till date. I have completed my CCSA R71 in 2011 but could not complete my CCSE because of which my CCSA R71 is expired.

My query is I can see R77 is launched both in Pearson and checkpoint site as CCSA-156.215.77, Is R76 i.e., CCSA-156.215.76/156.215.13 is still valid or expried ? its only a matter of time for me to schedule and take an exam. But as I explained above, my only worry is whether CCSA R76 is still valid.
    Hello Bert,

My query is I can see R77 is launched both in Pearson and checkpoint site as CCSA-156.215.77, Is R76 i.e., CCSA-156.215.76/156.215.13 is still valid or expried ? its only a matter of time for me to schedule and take an exam. But as I explained above, my only worry is whether CCSA R76 is still valid....
    I'd say both R76 or R77 are valid options based on what I see on the two sites. If you have concerns about one vs the other, I'd contact either Check Point or Pearson Vue support to get things cleared up. I'm just an end user myself, so I'm looking at the same info you are. :)

Good luck!
  • joaosantos1932joaosantos1932 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Bert! Congratulations on your certification and on this topic! This is VERY VERY usefull information.

I am thinking about doing this certification in the next few months.

Can you please let me know if you used some **** file to study some questions and answers before the exam? I am trying to find some **** file for the R76 exam.

Did you get some questions about SPLAT OS, or only about GAIA?

Thanks a lot Bert!!! icon_wink.gif
    In my opinion, passing a test via braindump is the same as lying on your resume. Both can get you an interview, but it soooo easy for experienced IT staff to identify the liars and bullshitters, and I'm speaking from personal experience. I don't remember the names of the people who were honest, that simply didn't have enough experience, or simply didn't get the job. I remember the ones that lied and tried to pull one over on my team. Those are the ones we still laugh about over beers. Those are the ones we discuss with our ex-teammates working across town at the company you just interviewed with. You don't wanna be that guy. The IT pond is not that big.

As far as the SPLAT material goes, l don't think having some knowledge is going to hurt your chances. I'll leave it at that. ;)
  • pizzahutpizzahut Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Checkpoint has just released R77 exams and seems like there are exams for all major version.
    Hi guys!
    One pratical question:
    - I know the Legacy Client Auth rules must be before the Stealth Rule. Do the User Auth rules need to be before the Stealth Rule too?
    Anyone knows?

Thanks a lot!
    Another question.. In the exam, can you go back and review some questions if you have the time for it? How does that work?

Cheers!!
    Regarding whether you can go back and review questions... yes, you can.

Regarding your question about placement of rules... test it out! There's no better way to learn. ;)
    Hi Bert! Thank you for your response!

Regarding the second question, you can change the answer in all questions you have passed, or can you only change in the ones you did not respond at the first passage and marked for revision?

Thanks mate!