IT Job Field Advice

DrethylDrethyl Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys im new to the forums and had a few questions for you. I am finishing up my B.A. in Networking Cyber Security I got my Associates in Networking Engineering last year. I was curious as what my main job I should be going for once I finish with my Bachelors in March. My only experience besides doing computer repairs for offices is what I learned in school. Getting a few comptia certificates under my belt will help me look more desirable for a job i'm just curious as to what my initial job should be when I get done with school. Most of the jobs I see listed online generally look for 3+ years of experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dreth

Comments

• epcgepcg Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You need to get an internship it will help you a lot even if its not paid its the experience that counts. Also for now do some side work for a few bucks it is also great experience. Don't never worry about what they put down on a job posting. Apply for them all the HR people will pick whoever and with a BA they will love that.
  • DrethylDrethyl Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the response epcg. At my school they have an internship program but its for those with a GPA of 3.0 or higher and because of my awful math classes I dropped down to a 2.8. So as of right now I can't get into an internship. Their are posting for a desktop technician in the DOD with the Navy which I feel would open up a lot of doors down the road. I'm curious as to what a lot of people do with a degree in the field of I.T with a specialization of Networking and security and what they started out with salary wise.
  • tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Hmmmm... I would hope you're going for Security+ in the CompTIA certs since that seems to be where you want to go. However, like any others have mentioned, take what you can get. IT is all about experience and I hate to say it, but even if you have your AAS and your BA you still have a big 0 for the experience section. However, congrats on the degree and I think it will open up doors for you in the long term.

That DOD Navy gig sounds pretty sweet, I would definitely look into that regardless of pay and I would imagine it would require a security clearance so that Security+ would probably help. As far as pay is concerned it depends. I just graduated with an AAS in Networking Administration but I got my current position before I graduated. I know a Senior Systems Engineer who I work with that has a degree in Musical Studies icon_cheers.gif
    Thanks for the info tker. I think comptia security cert will be my first go to cert. I'm going to pick up the Mike Myers book on it this week. Bachelors Degree will help along with any certificates i'm sure but like you said experience counts and even a desktop tech position if it is still available when i finish school next year would be great for opening doors.
  • LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Instead of going for a low level cert you should try making some decent linux scripts that are security related. This will show you have actual skills. Spend a few months mastering bash scripting.
    Thanks for the input I've always heard anything involving Linux is a big money maker due to the demand and what it has to offer.