Few questions about RHCSA6

tycoonbobtycoonbob Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone.

I've been using CentOS/RHEL for about 6 months now, and am planning to start studying for my RHCSA. I want to take it on v6 and not 7. Even though 7 is out now, I figure it will be another 6-12 months before companies really start adopting RHEL7, and I don't expect people will start upgrading their RHEL6 installs just yet. At least, this is the case in the Microsoft world.

So yeah, I can still take my RHCSA on v6, right? Also, where would I take RHEL exams at? I don't see Redhat listed on Prometric or Pearson Vue, so I'm guessing it's not either one of those facilities. Looking on Redhat's website, I only say a list of about 20 testing facilities, or whatever. Is that the only list of where I can go??

Comments

• gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi tycoonbob,

I believe you can take an EX200 on RHEL6 till 19 December 2014 and only at the individual testing stations or maybe at some training centers - as they said in Q&A "availability varies by location"...
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • tycoonbobtycoonbob Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gkca wrote: »
    Hi tycoonbob,

I believe you can take an EX200 on RHEL6 till 19 December 2014 and only at the individual testing stations or maybe at some training centers - as they said in Q&A "availability varies by location"...

Very disappointing, and pretty much means RHCSA6 is out of my reach, unless I want to drive 300 miles to test. I have no problem taking the RHCSA7, however there is no real training content out there unless I pay for a Redhat class, which also isn't an option. I figure it will be what, 9-12 months before we see something like Jang's book for RHCSA7?

Is it worth getting Jang's boot now, which is based on RHEL6?

I guess another question would be if I pass the EX200 on RHEL6, would I be able to go on and take the EX300 on RHEL7, or would I have to redo the EX200 on RHEL7?
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, I agree that it's quite disappointing and Red Hat's education and certification web site is nearly useless. I've tried to ask them a question about the upcoming exams through their web form and sure enough never got any reply...
    Well, on the other hand they do a lot of things right, their exams are very positive experience compared to the usual Microsoft fluff.
    In regards to your other question - yes, you can take EX300 on RHEL7 as long as your RHCSA (even if it's earned on RHEL6) is valid.
    It seems that the objectives didn't really change for EX200 and most of the changes are in EX300.
    As for the book - I'd say it's still worth it as the book covers all the objectives on v.6 very well and you'd only need to familiarize yourself with some new things and here's a good scoop on the differences RHEL7 RHCSA What's new? - CertDepot
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm