Anybody Gotten Switching Working in Alpha GNS3?

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
Curious if anybody who has contributed to the new GNS3 development and has Alpha access has gotten the switching emulator working successfully?

I signed up but haven't checked back on Alpha progress much and I hear switching is now available however only works in an IOU linux format right now? (see below FAQ on new release notes)

New GNS3 | FAQ - GNS3

With that said seems like I will need to install GNS on linux to get the emulation function working. Which is fine I can do a dual-boot with Ubuntu.

Anybody that has got this working have any pointers. I'd prefer to do emulations for my labbing if I can to avoid equipment purchases.

Thanks!
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You'll need:

-Virtualbox
    -A license key (In notepad. They explain the format online. You'll have to find a key)
    -The .ova vm file can be installed into virtualbox
    -An iou image
    -After configuring and opening the ova into virtualbox, you'll open the vm and do an ifconfig eth0. It will show you the ip address
    -Next, you need to go to your browser and type in the ip address (usually 192.168.56.101) and the port number. So it'd look like this:http://192.168.56.101:8000/upload. Here is where you'll upload the iou images.
    -After that, there are some settings in GNS3 you have to configure for IOU (Don't remember them off the top of my head. I'll have to get back to you later as I'm at work). There is a tab for server settings in the IOU tab, and you'll configure it for the IP address the VM has. Make sure the VM is on when you drag an IOU switch into the GNS3 topology, otherwise it won't work.
    -Also, make sure the network adapter in Virtualbox is set to Virtualbox host-only adapter.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You'll need:

-Virtualbox
    -A license key (In notepad. They explain the format online. You'll have to find a key)
    -The .ova vm file can be installed into virtualbox
    -An iou image
    -After configuring and opening the ova into virtualbox, you'll open the vm and do an ifconfig eth0. It will show you the ip address
    -Next, you need to go to your browser and type in the ip address (usually 192.168.56.101) and the port number. So it'd look like this:http://192.168.56.101:8000/upload. Here is where you'll upload the iou images.
    -After that, there are some settings in GNS3 you have to configure for IOU (Don't remember them off the top of my head. I'll have to get back to you later as I'm at work). There is a tab for server settings in the IOU tab, and you'll configure it for the IP address the VM has. Make sure the VM is on when you drag an IOU switch into the GNS3 topology, otherwise it won't work.
    -Also, make sure the network adapter in Virtualbox is set to Virtualbox host-only adapter.

Dang! Sounds like my project for the weekend!
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dang! Sounds like my project for the weekend!

It's like doing a basic switch config: Once you practice a few times, it's a 10 minute project the next time :D The only issue I've had is I can't be in more than one at the same time without it booting me from one of them.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I didn't have the IOU so I never tried to get it working.

It was a summer project for me but life got in the way and I have not taken my CCNA exam yet.
    Once I get there I will be very interested in visualizing my CCNP study. I have no real world experience so this is not a big focus for me this year but I plan to keep studying to stay familiar with the Cisco commands.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's like doing a basic switch config: Once you practice a few times, it's a 10 minute project the next time :D The only issue I've had is I can't be in more than one at the same time without it booting me from one of them.

Oh man.. I don't like that. Hopefully a bug that gets fixed. Still beats buying equipment though.