Still studying for Network+...hardest area..

RonNewYorkRonNewYork Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is cables and connectors. At home I have RJ45s (of course) and USBs (A and B) and there's some coax, but no other types of cables and no fiber optic anything, so it's pure memorization. Kind of worries me.

Comments

• DonM34DonM34 Member Posts: 139
    I just took the exam and pass, Don't stress your self out, here is what I did. Each connector type google it, look at the physical connector type so you can become familiar with it. Also study the speed and distance (Create a chart one for fiber-optic, one for UTP,STP and the other for Coax). SIMPLE
    2014 Goal [ ] CCENT [ ] MCTS (Active Directory) [ ] CompTIA Security+
  • rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Most basic fiber types: ST = Stab and Twist, LC: Little Connector, SC: Super or Sucky connector (it is much larger than the other two, making it much harder to pull out of a fiber tray).
  • timesvan32timesvan32 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't stress yourself too much with connectors. Just know what fiber connectors are (LC, ST, MTRJ, SC) and RJ45 connector as well.

*****content removed as it violates NDA*****

Know your 802.11a/b/g/n speed, frequency range, and distance. Also know your antennas.
  • jesscole76jesscole76 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    know the wireless standards, ****removed content that violates the NDA****
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    The cables you mention are all basic everyday cables. If you have not used them, get yourself familiar with them and the suggestions above are all good ones. My guess is that you have used these cables, simply did not know what they were called or called them the incorrect name. This should be an easy correction for yourself.

Good luck
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    use google images. Try to find pictures showing how the connectors connect.
    Looking over the many images will help you get familiar with them. It's not that hard you just need to focus on creating a description that makes sense to you. Form a sentence describing each connection type. If you can make it visual in your mind you will recall it better.

Good Luck
  • ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    SC = Stick and Click , square - push in and click. ST = Stick and Twist, round - push in and twist to lock
    LC = Little Click, small connector - push in and click.

I stole this from a comment on the site I have listed below, but those are the words that I memorized when I was studying for the exam.

lc sc fibre cable - Spiceworks
  • ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    SC = Stick and Click , square - push in and click. ST = Stick and Twist, round - push in and twist to lock
    LC = Little Click, small connector - push in and click.

I also remembered it from that quote. I took the test today and passed with an 840. I watched Keith Barker CBT Nuggets as well as the Mike Myers book.
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • garryebgarryeb Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Professor messors study guide is fantastic for this stuff. It's only like 10 bucks but it was such a huge help in my studies!!
    I would also recommend making a couple RJ-45 cables yourself. At least know all of the tools and color standards.
  • no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I took mine I remember being able to cancel out a lot of the cable questions. At least on my exam they made it pretty easy to cancel out the wrong answers. Maybe that's just me though....I wouldn't stress yourself out about it, just take your time with the exam. You get plenty of time, good luck! :)
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
    no!all! wrote: »
    When I took mine I remember being able to cancel out a lot of the cable questions. At least on my exam they made it pretty easy to cancel out the wrong answers.

I found that for the whole exam :D lol. I almost laughed at a couple because they had one obvious answer and the other three where not even remotely close.