After the Security+

DefconNubieDefconNubie Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Guys, I am new to the forum and I am looking to get some advice on the what certification I should pursue after I complete the Security+ exam on next week. I have about 14 years on the networking side of things but I am looking to get more into the security side of things and wondered what security certification road I should be moving toward. I was thinking that I would take the CEH next and then progress to the CISSP after that. Any advice is appreciated! icon_study.gif

Comments

• Cyber_spaceCyber_space Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am in the same boat as you..I would like to hear suggestions as well.
  • Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Hello Guys, I am new to the forum and I am looking to get some advice on the what certification I should pursue after I complete the Security+ exam on next week. I have about 14 years on the networking side of things but I am looking to get more into the security side of things and wondered what security certification road I should be moving toward. I was thinking that I would take the CEH next and then progress to the CISSP after that. Any advice is appreciated! icon_study.gif

I'd say it depends on the line of work you are interested in doing within the security field.

If you are interested in pentesting specifically, exams like CEH or OSCP are more geared towards that line of work. CISSP is more of a high-level exam on many different domains in security including some non-technical stuff.

If you are interested in leveraging your network experience on the security side you can check out Cisco's security curriculum which is really strong. There's also security tracks from Juniper and other vendors too.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • DefconNubieDefconNubie Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Vask3n! I was waiting on the CCNP Security but Cisco has decided not to put out any books for the updated exam until Feb 2015! I think I will look at CEH seriously and maybe an OS cert like LINUX/RHCE to broaden my spectrum of knowledge and not just continue in the Cisco only technology. Thank you for your response, truly appreciated!
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 250 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in the same boat too. I have talked to a lot of security people and they say it's what's your passion/interest is liked Vask3n talked about. CISSP is really the high level of the security world vs. CCIE/CCDE etc. is of the networking world. Now talking with other professionals they don't recommend the CEH because of companies fear of someone hacking them. These security folk all say stay towards protecting the network and it's data with looking @ security certifications i.e. CCNA sec., CISSP etc... The Security + is a good start and the CCNA Sec. is an great advantage over others trying to get in the security realm. You can get into the Linux certs and the learning curve because a lot of people need their NX systems harden and it's a great OS to have under your belt. Just my food for thought.

Check out this site about security certs
    http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/information-security-certifications,2-205.html
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is true that it depends on what your passion is. While you may have Security+ under your belt now, and a CCNA:Sec. It's good to have a Unix background and something that can represent your Unix literacy and mastery as the market is made of 70% of servers run some for linux or unix. The RHCSA would be good path to follow as it gives a lot bang for the buck. IMO...