Options

70-687 - Training through Hyper-V?

DeontwerperDeontwerper Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Heya there,

I am wanting to go after the 70-687 MCSA qualification, however I am stuck wondering...

My current computer has Windows 8 on it already. Is it possible to do all the training (practical wise) for the exam by using Hyper-V?

As I really don't want to have to go out and get another PC just for the training.

Comments

• Options
    dave1227dave1227 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You need Windows 8.1 Pro to run Hyper-V and other features that the exam covers. I've been using a Microsoft recommended book to study for the exam and the author specifically says to follow along with the book you need 8.1 Pro or Enterprise.
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your going to invest the time and effort into sitting the exam, it maybe a good idea to get Win 8 pro so you can do things right. Hyper-v doesn't just stop with Windows 8. It's all over the Server 2012 exams if you go that route later.

Download Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation

you'll need a Microsoft Live account
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    roschinkelleyroschinkelley Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think we need to have Windows 8.1 Pro to run Hyper-V and other features that the exam covers. They have been using a Microsoft recommended book to study for the exam and the author specifically says to follow along with the book you need 8.1 Pro or Enterprise. But none could prescribe the best book to follow so that we can have full knowledge of it.
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have done the 687 and working on the 688 right now. If you want to lab all features it would be best to have Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 Enterprise. That what I am using, easy if you access to Dreamspark or similar, or you can just use the trial versions from microsoft.com

I will say that researching topics on Technet is also highly recommended to get the details.

You can absolutely do it all in Hyper-V.