Options

gearing up for the security+

whotimewhotime Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
So i am taking the Sec+ for WGU. I am using Darrills book and have taken the pre-assessment test and scored a 58/100 on it. Is this a good start? I plan to start reading tonight and retake it within a week and see where I land. I need to complete this course soon and move to the network +
WGU BS: IT-Security
In Progress: C170, C246
To Be Completed: C247, C299, C697, C698, C435, C436, C179

Comments

• Options
    DonM34DonM34 Member Posts: 139
    What I learned, don't go by the practice exam score. First read the material than take the practice exam, this will point out your weakness.
    2014 Goal [ ] CCENT [ ] MCTS (Active Directory) [ ] CompTIA Security+
  • Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    This is good advice.

Also, remember to go by the exam outline as well. The list of topics will point you in the right direction as far as what to study, whereas a practice exam may or may not have a question about that topic in it.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    bensen408bensen408 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took and passed the CompTIA Security+ exam today, scoring 830 out of a possible 900. (You need 750 to pass).

I read Darril's book and watched the courses on Pluralsight (formerly Trainsignal).

Obviously I'm not supposed to tell you what is on the exam. *****
  • Options
    LiindoladeLiindolade Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    whotime wrote: »
    So i am taking the Sec+ for WGU. I am using Darrills book and have taken the pre-assessment test and scored a 58/100 on it. Is this a good start? I plan to start reading tonight and retake it within a week and see where I land.

I've been doing almost exactly the same things but started one week earlier. Last Sunday I scored 65/100 on the pre-assessment test, then read the book this week and scored 92/100 just a few hours ago, so don't worry about the 58/100. Each chapter includes a 20-25 question test where I usually had one wrong answer (after reading the chapter, of course).