Options

Best resorce for server 2012 "Real word"

bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well I don't know if this has been covered before, but I am looking to start the dive into the server world. But I need to backup and put some perspective on the issue at hand.

We have a few people moving on to bigger and better things. And I have been asked by my current employer to start to dive into Server 2012. I am not a Server guy per say, I do light server work. But the opportunity couldn't have come at a better time. I just finished my MCSA Win 7 and I was starting to look at studying for 70-410 (MCSA Server 2012 path). But I am more of a realist in the since I don't want to know just how to pass an exam, but to get more knowledge for my future position.

So what I am wanting to know is do I get a All-in-One book as to expedite the learning of Server 2012 and take the 70-417? Or do I get a 70-410 book and work through the exams systematically 410, 412, 413?

Any advice would be greatly appropriated.
“You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA

Comments

• Options
    unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Having just passed 70-410 a few weeks ago, I think the best way to learn the material would be this:

1. Watch PluralSight videos for the 70-410 as well as all the great videos they have on Hyper v in 2012.

2. Watch CBT Nuggets (These are a good overview, but I'm not sure if they're worth the $99 price.) The free 7 day trial I think is the way to go.

3. I list technet, but only because so many others have had success on there. Me personally, I hate trying to study off of Technet. It's a good resource if you're trying to lab something, but in my opinion, it's really hard to just sit down and read technet.

4. Read chapters pertaining to 70-410 in the Minasi book "Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2". It's a GREAT all around book and it definitely falls into the "real world" category that you're looking for.

5. Definitely build a practice lab. If you only do 1 of these 5 things, do this one.

If you do all this, you'll pass the exam and gain the knowledge.
  • Options
    MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can get books that are better for real world too. For example, I personally like the Exam Ref/Training Guide combo for certification because I get both theory and labbing that way. The Inside-Out series is lousy in my opinion for certification but does a much better job for "real world" application. I second Unibilly on the book recommendation and the lab. I think a lab is crucial for both the real world and for certification. Labbing is part of my everyday job in IT. I have to see how things are going to work. Frankly, sometimes the book is wrong or doesn't take into account something in your environment. You MUST have a lab. Don't forget Microsoft's Virtual Academy. There is a lot of good information in there too.
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is great, I will order "Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2" ASAP. I found out I have a class next month covering all types of topics on Server 2012. This book will help to speed up the learning process.

I have subscription to CBT nuggets from work as well. I will need to build out a linked clone of Server 2012 for my Lab as well. Just a lot to cover before the class next month. Should be fun!!!

Thanks all for the info.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good Luck to you!! Don't forget that this is a great place to ask questions if something comes up.
  • Options
    pistolpete31pistolpete31 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone have a good lab setup recommendation? I am thinking of buying a server, already have the software.
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bub9001 wrote: »
    This is great, I will order "Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2" ASAP. I found out I have a class next month covering all types of topics on Server 2012. This book will help to speed up the learning process.

I have subscription to CBT nuggets from work as well. I will need to build out a linked clone of Server 2012 for my Lab as well. Just a lot to cover before the class next month. Should be fun!!!

Thanks all for the info.

Quick question what sections did you study for the 70-410 using that mastering window server book?
    I just bought the book this weekend. it's a very big book to study.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*