Network +

3online3online Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey everyone! I've been studying for the Network+ exam. I have ten years experience as a Network Administrator, but then became a public school teacher. I am getting back into the IT field as soon as I can.

I have ITIL Foundation, A+, MCTS, and hopefully Network+ soon.

I've been using Exam Cram along with other resources. Uh..that OSI model is a tough one!

Any advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• DonM34DonM34 Member Posts: 139
    OSI IMO was a very trick topic, just know the basics and you should be fine. Here's what I did, create a table with all 7 layers. As your studying if it mentions a certain protocol etc write next to it the corresponding layer. By the end of your studies you should have a great understand of the layers. BTW, the exam has a hand full of OSI questions.
    2014 Goal [ ] CCENT [ ] MCTS (Active Directory) [ ] CompTIA Security+
  • 3online3online Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you. Are there any discounts out there for the exam? $269 is a bit much, don't you think?
    The testing center where I took the exam applied the discount automatically. I paid 250.00 for the Network+ exam, still a little pricey compared to Microsoft.
  • DrethylDrethyl Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know off hand how many questions are on the N10-005 exam? The comptia site says up to 100 questions but is it different for everyone?
  • ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    The OSI model can be confusing sometimes. Like the above poster I made a table (well actually used the pen and paper method) and drew blocks for the layers. Within the layers I briefly described the layer. Then on one side I wrote the protocols used at each layer (IP used at the network layer etc) and on the other side I wrote the protocol data units for each layer (network layer has packets, data link used frames etc).
    [@Drethyl

When I took the exam, fewer than 100 questions. Including performance based questions.
  • DrethylDrethyl Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There seems to be mixed reviews on this. My friend in my class said he just took it and their were 45 questions. for me it's all about knowing the technical aspect of it. I'm using Meyers book and I love the way he writes. I'm getting adjusted to the way he phrases test questions on his practice test, my fiend said that they are similar but by no means identical. I'm about half way through and its a long read but I love the way he sets up the book. I'm going to spend extra time on the OSI model as well as wifi.
  • 3online3online Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've read that it's 100 questions. Why would the assessment be different for each candidate? Weird...
    Only 85 questions when I took the exam about three weeks ago..............
  • MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    Regarding the number of exam questions. My understanding is the exam is adaptive, the next question received is based on the difficulty and answer given. A series of harder ones, would result in the exam ending sooner. Whereas easier questions, you'd get more of them.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)