Updated my resume

RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello all,

I've decided to update my resume and needed some opinions on how it is coming along so far. I've only included the latest work experience and my certs/education. If you need to view the whole thing let me know but the rest of it follows the same structure.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I remember your resume from the last time you had it critiqued a year or two ago. Time for a change job eh!

Took a quick look at this one, I reckon you really need to condense the dozen or so bullet points you have before Achievements. It's just tooooo long, you lost me mid way. Not saying the content's bad, the content's actually good but it's just too much to read. A thing or two about Achievements:

- Is being entrusted as the go-to person truly an achievement? I am not sure, I mean it is in the literal sense, but I reckon something like "Re-architected a 5000 user AD infrastructure, collapsed number of OU's and GPO's by 95%" is more of an achievement worthy of special mention. Instead, something like this should be written in the section about Achievements. This was my opinion.

- Really continuing the above, some bits could be Achievements and some could go into the daily responsibilities.

- Your degree seems to be sitting in a section of its own (I know it's not, but it sure looks like that). I'd put B.S. in Network Mgmt (Dean's list Fall 2005, GPA 3.0). This way you save atleast 5-6 lines, something you could put to better use. A resume is precious real estate, consider it like that and the resume will always come out good.

Hope this helps! And good luck with the hunt, if you are on one, that is.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • certoicertoi Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It needs a lot of work and your bullet statements are way too long. Be more precise and summarize each bullet statement in a small sentence. You are missing alot of punctuations, especially the full stop. I think the objective should be a heading in bold, and put the year beside each certifications you earned so an employer can see your growth (I was told this from a recent interview I did).

I re-did my resume last weekend and used livecareer.com to help me. They help you with formatting, organization and even examples of what statements and eye catching words to use. I dont think the GPA line is even needed as long as you graduated that will suffice.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From what I've been reading, most people seem to go with a summary at the top, vs. an objective. They already know you want a job.

For the schooling, you can just put the school and the actual degree. A 3.0 is fine bu not worth mentioning really and getting deans list semester out of 4 years isn't worth pointing out. If anything it would make me think... oh what happened the rest of the time?

The job description is just too much as others have said, 1 degree and 2 years of experience shouldn't need to be 2 pages
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey Essendon! I could use some more of your help just like last time lol I am a bit rusty on this resume writing thing. I will try to make the adjustments like you said. My questions are, how many bullet points should be for each job experience and/or achievements? I didn't think the number would matter since I've been there for almost 2 years and covered different areas. I guess I am asking how do other's with 10+ years experience whittle what they've done to only a couple bullet points and w/ small concise sentences(I may need to learn this)?

The reason why I mentioned being handed down or held responsible is because I was the one to take responsibility when no one else wanted to. I didn't feel like stating that in the resume without making anyone else look bad. Also, what part of the Achievements can go to the responsibilities?

I am not on the hunt yet...waiting for a couple of pieces (including improving this resume) to fall into place before moving on (if I cannot be here anymore). Just thought I would update it before forgetting most of my experiences here.

@certoi

I will check out Livecareer.com as well. Thanks!

Thanks for everyone else's feedback!
    Danielm7 wrote: »

The job description is just too much as others have said, 1 degree and 2 years of experience shouldn't need to be 2 pages

I only a partial copy of my resume. I mentioned at the thread opener that I only included my latest experience. So my resume is in fact longer from my past jobs

I have about 5 years in this field
    Hey guys I've made the changes as closely as I could according to your suggestions. If you can, please find the time to review this version

Thanks in advance again!
    Better than before. Here's more:

- I dont get why you need an Objective statement in there? You will send your resume over to the prospective employer because you want a new job, why write the same thing on the resume too. Instead, replace the Objective with a Summary that gives the reader a 30,000 ft view of who you are. Put something in there that makes the reader want to read more. Something like - Skilled engineer/administrator with x years of experience offering advanced skills blah blah... Get the drift I hope?

- Dont you think there are too many bullet points in your first job. I'd really like to see it condensed into a 5-6 line paragraph instead. First, it'll become less cluttered and neater. Second, it'll propel your achievements area into the spotlight because currently your achievements are overwhelmed by the plethora of bullets above them.

Hope this helps mate!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Thank you Essendon for taking a look at this and for your feedback. As for the structure of my job experience you want to me to write it down in paragraph form? Quite frankly I've never seen it done that way before.

Also, this isn't my first job. In this version of my resume I've only included my latest job experience and cut out the rest. If you want, I can send you (or link you) the full version so you can see how it all forms together.
    No worries mate, check out ptilsen's resume. That's how I have mine too. http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/91333-resume-time.html
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Wow his is really nice. It will probably take me some time to re-vamp to the way his and yours looks. I guess this change will be for the better. Appreciate the resource.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Just want to add that ptilsen's format is what I've been using for the last 8-9 years and it has proven extremely successful.

I've looked at hundreds of resumes in my career and will tell you that the bullet fest (I should trademark this) is awful. The purpose of a bullet is to highlight something. By abusing it you negate that very same purpose. Save those bullets for those key, tangible, and measurable achievements. This is what will differentiate you from the hundreds of "install, maintain, troubleshoot" guys out there.
    Hey guys,

I have returned with the latest edition and changes to my resume. Again, I tried to follow as close to your pointers as I could. I feel very good about the changes I've made and think it looks a lot better than the other versions.

Well, let me know what you guys think!

I appreciate the time you guys are taking to look at it as well.
    BUMP

One more time
  • chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    imo that looks really well, clear and concise.
    eddo1 wrote: »
    imo that looks really well, clear and concise.

Thanks for that