McAfee Institute

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Ran across a number of their certs and a few look very interesting. Anyone have any experience with them? Worth doing? The knowledge seems to be worth the price, but haven't seen much about them.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Never heard of them. And i'm suspicious. With a name like the "McAfee Institute" and a CEO named "Joshua McAfee", it really sounds similar to McAfee Corp and John McAfee without claiming any direct relationship. Their accreditations and recommendations are lacking, their have been BBB accredited for about 2 months now. McAfee Institute, Inc. Business Review in Chicago, IL - Chicago and Northern Illinois BBB

However the guy seems legit.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/joshuamcafee

Ultimately, $4-500 is better than a lot out there, and it looks like decent training.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah the training looks really good, but the lack of reviews and/or reputation makes me question it a bit.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • djentlemetaldjentlemetal Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I may be wrong in this line of thinking, but: isn't it odd that the dude is "board certified" from his own institute? I get that he's prominently displaying those "certifications" as a way of advertising his institute, but something seems off. He also abbreviates these certs as 'CCIE' and 'CCIP'. Seriously, dude? Again, I may be pre-judging and talking out of my rear end when I think, "Of course you're 'CCIE' certified: you're CEO of that organization!" icon_rolleyes.gif
    AAS - Networking and Cyber Security
    Security+ COLOR=red]X[/COLOR CCENT COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: R&S COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: Collaboration [ ]
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    @djentlemetal - you'd be surprised how many people like that will "claim" they are certified, but unless he will supply his CCIE # for you to verify independently you/us will have to talk him at his word.

@the_grinch - which courses were you looking at on their site? Just curious...
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I laughed out loud so hard when I saw the CCIE on their webpage, that was good stuff, thank you for posting this :)
  • djentlemetaldjentlemetal Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @djentlemetal - you'd be surprised how many people like that will "claim" they are certified, but unless he will supply his CCIE # for you to verify independently you/us will have to talk him at his word.

@the_grinch - which courses were you looking at on their site? Just curious...

What's really funny is that, in this particular case, he uses the same acronym that Cisco uses for their Expert-level cert. In this guy's case, a CCIE is a
    Board Certified Cyber Intelligence Expert.
    AAS - Networking and Cyber Security
    Security+ COLOR=red]X[/COLOR CCENT COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: R&S COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: Collaboration [ ]
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    His listed address is a few blocks form my office. I'm so tempted to go scope it out.
  • abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wouldn't want to pay $500 for a cert on antiviruses...
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was looking at Certified Cyber Intelligence Professional as it relates to some of my daily duties/future duties.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • vtradervtrader Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had a go at one of these courses, if you already have experience IT security save your time, unless you want to add a certificate with cool sounding names. But it has its merits. The course is more geared towards the non-technical people who need to get an understanding of cyber intelligence/security. For example if you are in law enforcement and are going to work in the cyber department as a non-techy and need some foundational knowledge. They are not technical courses, or IS management. But more focused in the intelligence/attack/kill cycle, OSINT, fraud, social media intelligence. The certs are more on the investigation side.
    Hope this helps
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Yes, there are a number of cert name collisions that will cause confusion with Cisco certs (CCIE, CCTA, CCIP). MI should have started all of its cert names with "MI-", as in McAfee Institute - Certified Cyber Investigations Expert (MI-CCIE). That would really make them stand out on a resume and in job board search engines.

If MI wants a first-hand, in-depth write up of their training and certs in my TE blog then get a hold of me here.
  • FgholmFgholm Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I signed up for a course and didnt have the time. I asked for a cancellation if they couldnt dona refund and they refused. Then the owner or whomever got into a argument with me over email after checking my linkedin acct. tread with caution
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    To be fair "I didn't have the time" is not an excuse to request a refund that would fly in most places. And what's the deal with your LinkedIn account that made him argue?
  • martyn747martyn747 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was interested in a couple of these too. There's not much info on Joshua McAfee in the way of his cyber security background, but fair enough he could only be the CEO and not delivering the course content. He was one of those 'life speakers' for John Maxwell Team, who appear to be a little bit 'ethically-flexible'. They seem to be linked to a few scam reviews on Google.