Best way to add router information in DHCP?

RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
I am stuck on this DHCP router practice question.

The question states there are two scopes setup with two different subnets on a DHCP server. Subnet 2 can't surf the internet while Subnet 1 can surf the internet.

My options are:

a) Add the same IP Address for the router on scope 2 as in scope 1.

b) Remove the router configuration from scope level and add the correct router configuration to the server level.

c) Setup a reservation for the router IP address on scope 2.

d) Remove the router configuration from the server level and add the correct router configuration to each scope.

Option c won't work because setting up a reservation won't give the router information to scope 2.

Option A might work if the IP address in scope 1 had the correct routing information.

Comments

• mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    D.

Each scope needs to have its router (default gateway) defined.

If the Server is configured with a DHCP option for Router, then clients on all scopes on that server will receive the same default gateway information.

The interface of the default gateway must be a part of the subnet in which it resides so that clients can use it, otherwise clients will not be able to access resources outside their subnet. Each subnet requires a value for default gateway if they are to be able to access networks outside their subnet.
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    FYI, DNS option can go on the scope or the server level, and any DNS server IP that has the capability to resolve internet addresses can be used, assuming the server itself is reachable by IP on port 53.

As long as there is IP connectivity, it doesn't matter what DNS server is used, who is asking for it, or who configured the client to use it or how the client was configured to use it.

AD might care though, if the client is to be a member of an AD domain.
  • JLLJLL Inactive Imported Users Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    RZetlin,

Is it possible to copy + paste the question?

JLuna
  • RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
    jluna wrote:
    RZetlin,

Is it possible to copy + paste the question?

JLuna

This is from a book.

Q. Your network has two subnets. You install DHCP server to service all the network computers on both subnets. You set up two scopes to give each subnet an appropriate range of addresses. After you activate the system, you discover that the computers on subnet 2 can't access Internet while computers on subnet 1 have no problems. How do you solve this problem?

The answer options are the same as stated in my posts.
  • dogcheesedogcheese Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The answer is D, because each subnet needs to have a gateway config'd for that particular subnet. You would simply set that on the scope level versus the server level. Does the server box have two NIC with routing enabled?
    MCDST, MCSA, 297 short of MCSE
  • JLLJLL Inactive Imported Users Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for copying the question.

My selection would be:

d) Remove the router configuration from the server level and add the correct router configuration to each scope.

I partially agree with Mikey_b in that the interface of the default gateway must be part of the subnet in which it resides so that clients can use it, otherwise clients will not be able to access resources outside of their subnet.

In regards to Server, Scope, and Reservation options. I believe the rule is that Reservation options will overide Scope options and Scope options will overide Server options. So even if the Server options were not removed, as long as each scope is configured correctly with the appropriate options, then the Server options will not apply to the clients at each scope.

JLuna
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    A reservation is an allocation of an IP to a specific host based on their MAC. This ensures that the host will always receive a specific IP but can receive it dynamically.