Is the Security+ cert worth it?

zholling10zholling10 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am a senior in college and have one semester left and am an IT major. I do want to get into the security field and just am curious if anyone has had success after obtaining the security+ cert. I also have been reading that it recently changed? is it more difficult now? :)

Comments

• mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It is a great exam to use as a stepping stone into IT. If you already have an entry level IT job, then I would skip it. Unless you are trying to get a government job. It would play a big role in a federal job until you can get your CISSP. The "security field" is a very broad spectrum. What area of security would you like to focus on?
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • zholling10zholling10 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I currently am studying to take the CCENT exam and I thought I would like to get into network security. I have taken one security class here at school and am taking the second security class this fall, I just thought a combo of CCENT and Security+ would be good entry level certs to get into network security.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sec+ is a good entry security certification. It seems to have more traction in the market than say the SSCP, the entry level by the same folks who do CISSP. CISSP will take a bit of time to study and prepare for, where the Sec+ exam can be accomplished much quicker to get you going. The CCENT and Security+ would be a good start...and if you want to continue to network security then CCNA:Security and on. That combination should be a good setup to get you an entry level job. More than likely it will be a help desk type job but the quicker you start progressing through certifications and getting experience the faster you can climb the ranks.

Also...Security+ is a requirement for any government or government contractor work.
  • zholling10zholling10 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I plan on getting my CCNA but I thought before I dove into that I would at least get my CCENT first. Plus with going to school full time and working, one cert at a time is good enough for me. Any other entry level certifications you think would be good to look into?
  • KragsterKragster Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it is becoming a well recognized cert. Also, the information covered is really good for an intro to the concepts. Even if you're familiar with a few of them chances are there will be some new info. I recommend Darril Gibson's book, I still keep it at my desk. Has helped me out when trying to explain concepts to less technical users when trying to implement a new security control.
  • Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    If you are going to go for something in the CompTIA line of certs then Security + is a good choice.

It's a good primer for more advanced topics that show up in the more vendor-specific exams if that is something you are looking into in the future.

Granted, the way I remember Security+ back in 2006 was mostly a port-number memorization test but I am there is some good material on newer revisions of it.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agreed with Vask3n. In college myself. This will give you an overall great foundation for security and the different types of attacks out there along with the ways to prevent these attacks (Smurf attack, SQL injection, XML injecton, LDAP injection, replay attack etc digital certificates hashing algorithms and key bit lengths and ciphers along with cryptography and PKIs and how these roles all link together in an IT environment.) You can then go and pursue certifications such as CISSP or InfoSec (very difficult and challenging exams to say the least and expensive.) I took the SYO-301 exam and I can tell you to do it before the exam change (exam change=exam problems) Ex: I took the 200-120 (CCNA) and was asked about RIP when this was not on the exam objectives and is so old the name states where it should be! (If you understand the joke.)
  • DrethylDrethyl Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    zholling10 wrote: »
    I am a senior in college and have one semester left and am an IT major. I do want to get into the security field and just am curious if anyone has had success after obtaining the security+ cert. I also have been reading that it recently changed? is it more difficult now? :)

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a few semesters left and am right now currently studying for my security +. I'm studying the newest edition of the test 401. My major is cyber security so I'm going to go for security first then networking. Security is where all the money is at and its always changing which is great.
  • dbzrfldbzrfl Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Higher up Security certs will require 5 years on the job experience before you can even work on getting higher certs in security, but well worth it a couple friends of mine with top secret clearance are doing pretty well with their S+. I think that getting any cerification is worth the time and effort because you will learn a understanding of how internet security works on a very basic level.