Options

Is Network+ a good start?

BAO321BAO321 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been interested in computer networking for years, since I was about 7-- I am now 20 and going to college for either Computer Science or Management Information Systems. It is only recently that I found out about all of these certs such as CCNA, CCENT etc... Im just wondering, for a career in the I.T field-- would a Network+ be a good start? What else would help get my foot in the door?

Comments

• Options
    OhsupOhsup Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think the general consensus is start with the A+.
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    My opinion is A+ first, then Network+. And in the meantime, see if you can volunteer helping out the IT Dept at your school to see what a typical day is like.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    VinnyCisco wrote: »
    My opinion is A+ first, then Network+. And in the meantime, see if you can volunteer helping out the IT Dept at your school to see what a typical day is like.

+1 A+ and Network+ are typically the best starting certifications you can get. CCENT is also good but it is much more difficult and is better combined with some IT experience. Keep looking around for either a paid of volunteer position working with IT.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm currently working in Desktop Support(my 1st IT gig) and I'm skipping the A+ and going for the N+. After that I'll go down the Microsoft Certs path. Even contemplating taking the S+ as well.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    DonM34DonM34 Member Posts: 139
    I would suggest setting the foundation with working on A+ certification. Also once you study and pass the Network+, studying for the CCENT would make more sense. A lot of ppl jump and end up being confused and unmotivated because of the material. Take baby steps once you are certified in both areas, exams like Security+ and CCENT will be a breeze. IMO
    2014 Goal [ ] CCENT [ ] MCTS (Active Directory) [ ] CompTIA Security+