Options

Nexus 1000v implementation +

ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been dying to get myself behind some Nexus hardware for a very long time. I just can't get approval to bring in that gear right now, the budget just won't allow it. So I wanted to at least implement the Nexus 1kv in our VMware test environment, which we'll be rolling out to production if all works, (e.g. HA and redundancy).

I was just curious what people thought about implementing the 1kv without any other Nexus physical hardware in the scenario.From what I gathered, I'll obtain much better view of the network through the 1kv as opposed to the traditional vds that comes with VMware. Basically, the vds that comes with VMware was designed and built by system engineers, where the 1kv was designed and built by network engineers. So the focus of the two is very different, hence why 1kv is a better choice networking side, respectively.

I'm currently in the midst of configuring the 1kv, and it's kind of kicking my arse. But I'm a newb with it and still learning as I go.Any thoughts on this matter?
Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.

Comments

• Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 1000v is one of the (many) things on my to do list...so much network, so little time...icon_study.gif

But what looks like a good (and free?) source of video training is the Lab Minutes channel on YouTube, the cover the 1000v and much, much more...could be worth a look. They also have their own site for paid content which includes the corresponding docs.
  • Options
    This is awesome azaghul! I've never used Lab Minutes. The Nexus 1000v content is great so far, this is a great find! Thanks for posting that recommendation.
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • Options
    I got my Nexus 1000V's installed and I must say I'm overwhelmed by the options and configuration. How does one go about replacing the vds in VMware with the 1000V? I don't even know where to start. I have to admit though it's pretty cool and fascinating what you can do with the 1000V.
  • Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    I got my Nexus 1000V's installed and I must say I'm overwhelmed by the options and configuration. How does one go about replacing the vds in VMware with the 1000V? I don't even know where to start. I have to admit though it's pretty cool and fascinating what you can do with the 1000V.

Fairly simple, use vCenter to push VEMs to the hosts.
  • Options
    Setting it all up can be a learning curve though.
  • Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
  • Options
    Thanks for the link! I actually got the 1000V up, a pair actually for HA. I was more so referring to the transition piece from vds. But the end of that article goes into some of those details. I'll give that a go. Thanks!!