VMWare is coming to my company

DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
I got the news today from my manager, we going to virtualization within the next 4 months. Sad to say, out of my department (manager and 5 techs), I'm the most familiar with it. Don't have any working experience, just the stuff I've seen online and watched some CBT video's. So I really know nothing technical when it comes to VMWare.

But I want to hit the ground running, and get ahead of it and maybe reduce the learning curve when it starts. I have a couple servers in my ccna lab at home. So my plan is to go through the CBT videos a couple times and get a good over view.

I don't know any good books off hand, any suggestions??

Also any suggestions in general for a noob learning VMWare.

Thanks for your time and your thoughts!

Comments

• Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Get the Mastering vSphere 5.5 book - it's a must read...

Get a Pluralsight subscription - great VMware videos compared to CBT Nuggets which are just OK and there is more of them for less money too...

Play around with it in your lab, there is tons of lab threads but it sounds like you've got that covered.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I would immediately dig into the following

This for passing the exam - Amazon.com: VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550 (9781118658444): Brian Atkinson: Books

This for EVERYTHING related to virtualization within the 5.5 release - http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-VMware-vSphere-Scott-Lowe/dp/1118661141/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406307939&sr=8-1&keywords=vmware&dpPl=1

Then

1. Obtain a copy of VMware Workstation 9 or 10
    2. Install 1-2 ESXi 5.5 hosts
    3. Install MS Servers
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Get the Mastering vSphere by Scott Lowe that matches the version you guys are implementing, 5.5 and 5.1 are quite different, and all my customers are still on 5.1 cause 5.5 has had some issues (like any beta release) - Not sure why everyone is jumping on 5.5 study based on your post.

It is incredibly easy to set stuff up in vSphere, you just need to read / watch directions on how to do it, and learning the troubleshooting is part of the experience of being in IT, and is not covered in any book you can buy :)
    And stop throwing study guides at him. Learn to walk before you schedule a marathon. Let him getting familiar with the product first :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    And stop throwing study guides at him. Learn to walk before you schedule a marathon. Let him getting familiar with the product first :)

For some looking to learn the system/product what should they read.
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    This is an awesome opportunity for you. Take full advantage of it.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
    As suggested,the Mastering book is a very good start.
  • massontechmassontech Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For me, - ill setup a home lab and try to break fix break fix and break fix. (Watch CBT videos and other resources online.) familiarize your self with the product .
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It doesn't take much effort to stand up a vSphere environment. It does take time and effort to stand up a vSphere environment to support production workload. I'd recommend hiring a reputable consulting firm to architect, deploy and document the initial environment.

No one would let people with no networking knowledge to architect their production network. Virtualization should be treated the same way.

As for learning about vSphere, as others have mentioned, Mastering and what used to be TrainSignal is a good start.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We are planning on hiring someone to come in and evaluate our system, and do the installation. I just want to know learn as much as possible, so I"m not clueless during the process and can understand the process. I've got through the CBT nuggets video's, and downloaded some of the recommended books on this thread.

I should start labbing in two weeks, I'm a break and fix kind of learner. Needless to to say I'm pretty lucky and excited for this opportunity, can't wait to get started!
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    You should, or used to, get credits for the vSphere classes when you purchased vSphere. Tell your Manager to send you to the class. You're not going to learn everything, but if you get a good teacher you'll learn a lot.

Something like this.

http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/courses.cfm?ui=www_edu&a=det&id_course=215383

Personally I'd do it in a classroom because I like to ask lots of questions, but you can do them online as well.
    pwjohnston wrote: »
    You should, or used to, get credits for the vSphere classes when you purchased vSphere. Tell your Manager to send you to the class. You're not going to learn everything, but if you get a good teacher you'll learn a lot.

Something like this.

VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.5]

Personally I'd do it in a classroom because I like to ask lots of questions, but you can do them online as well.

I agree, Global Knowledge is a partner to VMWare, and we've used them before. I'll be working on management to send me to a training.

Either San Jose or Seattle, it will be nice to get off the reservation.
    In case your manager needs convincing - he may argue that a third part is installing it anyway - but someone local needs to be able to support it at 3am in the morning :p
    In case your manager needs convincing - he may argue that a third part is installing it anyway - but someone local needs to be able to support it at 3am in the morning :p

Exactly, I can tell you its not going to be my manager.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■

confused.pngconfused.pngconfused.pngconfused.pngconfused.png It's always a hardware problem, not vSphere. :D
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman