Options

Clarification please!

OhsupOhsup Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

So I am 2 weeks out from my testing date and currently feel very confident. There is one area where some clarification would be great. I am using 2 different books, and the professor messer study guide pdf to study. The problem I am running into is it seems every source has a different range for wifi 802.11 standards, and the cable architectures. For example one book says 802.11a has a range of 150 feet, but the professor messer guide says 140 meters, and then my other book goes into greater detail with an inside/outside range. Does anyone know how important this is for the exam?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    I would say think of it like this:

140 meters = about 400 feet. The range on an indoor AP will not reach 400 feet. Therefore I would feel more confident with the other source.

There's a basic chart for it too on Wikipedia where you can see that they say 802.11a is right around ~115 feet.

There is also a distinction in the chart between indoor/outdoor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    OhsupOhsup Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Vask3n wrote: »
    I would say think of it like this:

140 meters = about 400 feet. The range on an indoor AP will not reach 400 feet. Therefore I would feel more confident with the other source.

There's a basic chart for it too on Wikipedia where you can see that they say 802.11a is right around ~115 feet.

There is also a distinction in the chart between indoor/outdoor.

IEEE 802.11 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you. Will probably just go with what the wiki page is saying.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Ohsup wrote: »
    Thank you. Will probably just go with what the wiki page is saying.

Just know your ports.