OSWP Advice

Blade3DBlade3D Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, I don't see much talk about the OSWP, I was wondering if anyone had gotten this. Also, what prerequisite certs would be good to have? Such as getting OSCP first or other certs (I was planning on getting the CWNA before OSWP). Reason being I figured OSCP might be much more studying/work, and OSWP might be more useful to my current position in the short term.
Title: Sr. Systems Designer
Degree: B.S. in Computing Science, emphasis Information Assurance
Certifications: CISSP, PSP, Network+, Security+, CySA+, OSWP

Comments

• NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm actually going to take it during Q4 this year (mostly because I've already blown through my training budget and it costs next to nothing).

It is much easier than OSCP. I've heard the test is a breeze. But I've also heard that the course content makes it worth the money.

That being said...compared to everything else that OffSec has to offer, there isn't a whole lot of value in this cert.
  • Blade3DBlade3D Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info, if it's easier then OSCP I'll do this after I do CWNA then.
  • lolo974lolo974 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Which hardware do you use for the practice part of this course please?
    They have recommendations on the OffSec page. Their page seems to be down right now, otherwise I would get them for you. I know its one of the ALFA adapters and a NetGear router.

Its possible you could use what you have already, but their recommendations consist of the hardware used to make the course. I've already got an ALFA adapter, and I'm going to buy the recommended router just to make my life easier.

Plus I don't really want to be downgrading the security on my home network to WEP (which I guarantee some labs will require).
  • lolo974lolo974 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I saw that. But these hardware seems old and I cannot find them in a store, just in ebay...
    lolo974 wrote: »
    I saw that. But these hardware seems old and I cannot find them in a store, just in ebay...

Ya from what I saw Amazon had some from 3rd party sellers, wasn't very expensive
    Exactly. I'd go the amazon route.
  • si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've passed my OSWP recently and I'll say this much: the study material is VERY deep. The course doesn't give you the commands then rushes you into the exam. I found the best way to tackle it was to read all the theory so you understand what you're doing before you even contemplate taking the exam. The exam is actually challenging... If you have studied, you'll pass, but if you've skipped a chapter or not understood something, it can be very tough as the exam is only 4 hours which sounds a lot, but in reality - its not.

All in all I'd say it's well worth doing however I really think they should do a OSWE (wireless Expert) with newer material because a lot of the material discusses WEP and WEP isn't even an option on some devices these days.
    si20 wrote: »
    I've passed my OSWP recently and I'll say this much: the study material is VERY deep. The course doesn't give you the commands then rushes you into the exam. I found the best way to tackle it was to read all the theory so you understand what you're doing before you even contemplate taking the exam. The exam is actually challenging... If you have studied, you'll pass, but if you've skipped a chapter or not understood something, it can be very tough as the exam is only 4 hours which sounds a lot, but in reality - its not.

All in all I'd say it's well worth doing however I really think they should do a OSWE (wireless Expert) with newer material because a lot of the material discusses WEP and WEP isn't even an option on some devices these days.

Thanks, this is some of what I wanted to know. It seems I may have covered some of this in college, I know we cracked WEP in a class. I'll probably do this before I do OSCP and after CWNA.