How hard is the ITIL Foundation Exam?

HR8886HR8886 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

How difficult is the ITIL foundation exam? How many questions?

Also, is there a need for continuing education to up-keep the cert?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The exam gets easier the more you study for it icon_smile.gif

There are 40 questions and you need to get 26 right to pass - the global pass rate is usually above 95%.

There are no continuing education requirements at present.

Claire
  • HR8886HR8886 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The exam gets easier the more you study for it icon_smile.gif

There are 40 questions and you need to get 26 right to pass - the global pass rate is usually above 95%.

There are no continuing education requirements at present.

Claire

Thanks so much!
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Had a coworker with no real previous IT experience go to a 3 day course for it and pass.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I think if you worked as a IT Manager the material is easily understood. Plus, if you have a business degree I think you could relatively pass the exam with little study effort. But some study will be required.

Side Note: Is it me or is the ITIL lapel pin (Logo) the ugliest thing you have ever seen.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • MelanieWatsonMelanieWatson Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think, as Claire says, it gets easier the more you study for it. There are official guides available from AXELOS (such as the ITIL Foundation Handbook) designed to specifically help you pass the exam and there are supplementary guides available too such as ITIL Foundation Essentials.

Depends whether you learn better from books and/or classroom training.
  • HR8886HR8886 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Chivalry1 wrote: »
    I think if you worked as a IT Manager the material is easily understood. Plus, if you have a business degree I think you could relatively pass the exam with little study effort. But some study will be required.

Side Note: Is it me or is the ITIL lapel pin (Logo) the ugliest thing you have ever seen.

Thanks so much!

Lol yes the logo is ugly
  • robSrobS Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□

....There are no continuing education requirements at present.

Is this something Axelos is considering?
    Axelos are debating lots of things at the moment and some kind of continual professional development is one of them - but nothing is fixed yet so I wouldn't read anything into it.
  • shazbshazb Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am trying to go for ITIL v3 Foundation exam . I need guidance which studying material should I study to pass the exam. and Exam prep questions. IF you guide me with recommended website. I am doing for self study and how much it cost go for the exam. I know it is 40 question in the exam. Should for this exam we have to go prometric center or it is going to be online. and Do we get the Certification in Hard/Soft copy. How many hours we need to study for passing the exam. Please guide me with all valuable info. many thanks
  • Liz GallacherLiz Gallacher Member Posts: 107
    Please read through previous posts before asking questions like these. They have all been answered many times already. People are happy to help, but should not hav eto give the same answer over and over again.
  • InvensisLearningInvensisLearning Banned Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ITIL foundation is entry level qualification in ITIL. It has Multiple choice, 40 questions selected from the full ITIL Foundation
    Certificate in ITSM examination question bank.I have taken ITIL foundation Exam.
  • smike49smike49 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm glad to see others found the test easy.

The company I work for recently paid to have someone come in and teach the entire IT department. I'm just a tech monkey, and like to stay out of the 'business' side of things, so I found it difficult. It was all just too abstract and businessy 'mumbo jumbo' for me.

I failed at 57%, and speaking to fellow class members, about half of them failed as well, including the IT manager, who understands business better than I do. I found the questions misleading at times as well.

Our class was 2.5 days, with the 40 question test at the end. It was presented by SMME.

Best of luck to everyone.
  • csahacsaha Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The exam is not difficult but not easy at all.
  • zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    can anyone give me a straight answer to what the cost of the exam itself is? how much in the U.S? can't seem to get a straight answer on google. thanks.
    Hi zcarenow

The exam is different prices depending where you buy it from and what country you're in, which is why you'll struggle to find a single answer. It's best to go direct to companies selling it like Prometric, Loyalist, EXIN etc. Even then you'll find differences so it's worth shopping around.

Claire
  • zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    Hi zcarenow

The exam is different prices depending where you buy it from and what country you're in, which is why you'll struggle to find a single answer. It's best to go direct to companies selling it like Prometric, Loyalist, EXIN etc. Even then you'll find differences so it's worth shopping around.

Claire

can u give me a range of the cost in the U.S? Right now i have no idea....$100 +, $200 +???
  • Rocket ImpossibleRocket Impossible Member Posts: 104
    zcarenow wrote: »
    can u give me a range of the cost in the U.S? Right now i have no idea....$100 +, $200 +???

Currently $208 in the U.S. according to Pearson's website.
  • nate11nate11 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I've been contemplating to give the ITIL foundation exam for the past 2 years but haven't been able to get down to it. Is the ITIL V3 syllabus the same as it was in 2011? Is the exam number still EX0-101 or EX0-117? Can someone kindly clarify?

I also came across someone who mentioned version 5 for the ITIL foundation course. what is the latest version of the ITIL foundation? Should i be giving v3 or v5 ? please help, pretty confused

TIA
    nate

TIA
    Hi nate11

ITIL V3 was updated in 2011 and is now just referred to as 'ITIL'. You'll need to study using 2011 aligned materials - if it's labelled V3, it's probably out of date.

The person who mentioned v. 5 was probably referring to the course syllabus which is currently v.5.5.

I'm not sure on exam codes but the EXIN helpdesk would be able to assist.

Kind regards

Claire
  • itstechschoolitstechschool Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, don't worry about that this is very easy exam you can easily clear that exam in first attempt, if you have taken training from a good trainer. I have passed ITIL foundation exam in first attempt. I had taken my itil training in ITS Gurgaon. If you live in Delhi NCR then you can ask them. If you don't want to take training still you can connect with them they are very supportive.
  • baSt4et8baSt4et8 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, don't worry about that this is very easy exam you can easily clear that exam in firstattempt,h if you have taken training from a good trainer. I have passed ITIL foundation exam in first attempt. I had taken my itil training in ITS Gurgaon. If you live in Delhi NCR then you can ask them. If you don't want to take training still you can connect with them they are very supportive.

Hi, could anyone please share papers for ITIL v3 Foundation. Thank you!!
    Hi baSt4et8 you can download a sample exam from AXELOS.com. Good luck, Claire
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    smike49 wrote: »
    I'm glad to see others found the test easy.

The company I work for recently paid to have someone come in and teach the entire IT department. I'm just a tech monkey, and like to stay out of the 'business' side of things, so I found it difficult. It was all just too abstract and businessy 'mumbo jumbo' for me.

I failed at 57%, and speaking to fellow class members, about half of them failed as well, including the IT manager, who understands business better than I do. I found the questions misleading at times as well.

Our class was 2.5 days, with the 40 question test at the end. It was presented by SMME.

Best of luck to everyone.
    That is what I thought as well. I passed at 65%
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • anikaanika Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nothing is hard icon_smile.gif

You just focus on your study

How many questions?

Ans. :- (26 out of 40 questions answered correctly)

I want to suggest you a book name "ITIL Foundation Exam Study Guide". You can read from it.

If you have time or money, you should get the admission any in well-respected training center, Such as- Simplilearn, Kpmg, Greycampus, Koenig Solutions and much

You can find the complete list of the training center on google.