Which test do I take?

watermelonsswatermelonss Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Sorry Everyone, this is a very nooby question. I was looking at the official CompTIA Sec+ site, and it said SY0-401, but also had exam codes SY0-301 and JK0-018. Security certification, CompTIA Security+ certification

It says that the latter ones are "retiring". What is the disadvantage of that? And also, what is the advantage if I take the newer one?

Thanks !!!

Comments

• DonM34DonM34 Member Posts: 139
    I think the SY0-301 exam retires in December of this year, As for the difference check out this site it will break it down

CompTIA Security+ SY0-401 vs. SY0-301 Changes - InfoSec Institute

[TH]Certification Exam Objectives: SY0-301 [/TH]
    [TH] [/TH]
    [TH]Certification Exam Objectives: SY0-401 [/TH]
    [TH] [/TH]

[TH]
    Domain
    [/TH]
    [TH]
    % of Examination
    [/TH]
    [TH]
    Domain
    [/TH]
    [TH]
    % of Examination
    [/TH]

1.0 Network Security
    1.0 Network Security

2.0 Compliance and Operational Security
    2.0 Compliance and Operational Security

3.0 Threats and Vulnerabilities
    3.0 Threats and Vulnerabilities

4.0 Application, Data and Host Security
    4.0 Application, Data and Host Security

5.0 Access Control and Identity Management
    5.0 Access Control and Identity Management

6.0 Cryptography
    6.0 Cryptography

Total SY0 301
    100%
    Total SY0 401
    100%

2014 Goal [ ] CCENT [ ] MCTS (Active Directory) [ ] CompTIA Security+
  • IT_NerdIT_Nerd Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It looks like they took some of the focus away from threats and vulnerabilities and placed a bit more emphasis on on access control and identity management. I just ordered my Darril Gibson Security+ book earlier this week and it's a SY0-301 so I will have to take the test before next year. If I didn't order this book already, I'd take the SY0-401. At this point I'll just wait for the next refresh after the SY0-401.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would do the 401. No point in studying old material.
    ^ Since my 301 book is still en route do you think I should return it for a 401?
  • DrethylDrethyl Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm studying for the 401 and i bought the sybex text, but I will be buying the 301 version of Gibsons book because of how highly regarded it is. I'd keep that book and buy the 401 sybex one to accompany it.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    IT_Nerd wrote: »
    ^ Since my 301 book is still en route do you think I should return it for a 401?

I think you will be fine. The Sybex text is one of the best around, period. You may pickup a cram book or something to compliment, but download both sets of objectives and compare as you go, the differences between test changes is usually negligible. There are differences, but you likely are familiar with the material and simply did not realize you were familiar.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Yea, I decided to stick with the 301 because the Sybex book for the 401 is on back order and I don't want to wait around.
  • Confl1ct10nConfl1ct10n Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The JK0-018 one is for students. It is a voucher that you can purchase from your school at a major discount.
  • karl88karl88 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The document for the SY0-401 exam objectives is six pages longer than the SY0-301.