Quick question about Linux+

Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have decided to gun for the Linux+ since its been recommended by a new NOC engineers (the HR people want Linux experience, even though its for file editing and logging). Always been fascinated with Linux but never had the chance to use it.

I am literally, 100% unfamiliar with Linux bar the name.

After looking at some free online material, is the scope of this exam vastly broader In scope compared to A+, N+ and Sec+? Or is that just my unfamiliarity. It really does look like MCSE level stuff at a glance (or im just stupid).

Can anyone give any thoughts on that? I would approach studying for this very differently otherwise.

Comments

• southsouth Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have taken and passed the 101 exam, and I am taking the 102 very soon. I will say this certification is very in depth, and you really need to abandon anything other than Linux for your OS. I tried to study for this exam like I did my CCNA, but I found that just wasn't going to work. I had zero Linux experience before I started, but I knew I wanted to move to it permanently. I read the Sybex book, and didn't care for it to be honest. I found LinuxAcademy.com a while ago, and it has been my primary study source. I would check that out and just live inside of Linux while you prepare for the exam.
  • merc.man87merc.man87 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used the Testout Linux course. The best piece of advice I can give to you, is whenever you are reading a topic and it is going over various commands, is to learn these commands and remember them, get familiar with them. I didn't see any complex command based questions on the test, I can say that, but there were quite few command based questions that I encountered, nothing too complex though.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Create a dual boot on your computer, and install Ubuntu (Latest one came out in April). Thats what I did. I am hoping to pass Linux+ next year.

Its been almost 4 weeks using Ubuntu, and I can say I have learned alot just by fiddling around. Give that a try!
    No need to wipe your current OS! You can even access your same folders!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • sasnimrodsasnimrod Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Although dual booting is a good idea, I would suggest that you make use of at least 2 linux-based distros (through VMware workstation or Oracle's Virtual Box) since the Linux+ cert is distribution agnostic and doesn't focus on any particular distro.

One of the most common choices is to use Ubuntu (Debian based) and Centos (RPM based). You'll definetly need one Debian based and another RPM based distro in order to cover the topics properly - particularly package management.
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    renting a vpn. They only have non-GUI versions of Linux so its a great learning curve!

I have a quick question. If I have a freshly installed non-GUI Debian distro, how similar is that compared to a GUI-based Debian OS?

Do the GUI OS's come with extra software or is it literally the same, just minus the interface? If this is so then it would be a great reference to work from!
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    sasnimrod wrote: »
    Although dual booting is a good idea, I would suggest that you make use of at least 2 linux-based distros (through VMware workstation or Oracle's Virtual Box) since the Linux+ cert is distribution agnostic and doesn't focus on any particular distro.

One of the most common choices is to use Ubuntu (Debian based) and Centos (RPM based). You'll definetly need one Debian based and another RPM based distro in order to cover the topics properly - particularly package management.

this is what I did yesterday, loaded up a Ubuntu and CentOS distro on two VM's on my R610 cluster. it's nice having a total of 32 cores to use now with 32 GB's across two hosts. :) ... it just gets a tad warm in my room after a few hours...