HP Procurve 2910al-48g-poe+: is there a way to turn off the fans?

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hey guys,

besides literally unplugging the fans does anyone know if there is a way to reduce the speed of the fans on the HP Procurve 2910al-48g-poe+?

I left it on all day in my room while at work and my room is noticeably warmer than usual. icon_lol.gif

Comments

• MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Have you taken a look to see if they have upgraded any of the software? I know on my Dell Poweredge servers, I had to upgrade my BIOS and a couple of other things, to slow the fans down and quiet them down, you might check to see what HP has done to address this issue, if that fails, look up adjustable potentiometers so you can splice in the power to the fans and adjust them to a more acceptable level. This type of equipment was not designed to go into a home or apartment environment and runs a lot louder and hotter than home stuff.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a hp procurve v1910-48g which I disconnected the fans on, it gives me constant errors that the fan has died (understandably)... I couldn't find anything on eBay to lower the fan speed with a resistor or something - it runs a bit warm at the moment but I don't think I would disconnect the fans on a POE switch or on anything higher than what I've got. The risk is too much.
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a 3500yl and yes the fans are very noisy..I haven't run it in a few years except for briefly a few days ago. Back when I first got it I was looking for a way to reduce the noise. The only thing I came up with was looking up the model number of the fans to find noise and air flow ratings and find some low noise fans of the same type.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    ahhh so I'm not the only one like wow those things sound like turboprops for how small they are...
    MTciscoguy wrote: »
    Have you taken a look to see if they have upgraded any of the software? I know on my Dell Poweredge servers, I had to upgrade my BIOS and a couple of other things, to slow the fans down and quiet them down, you might check to see what HP has done to address this issue, if that fails, look up adjustable potentiometers so you can splice in the power to the fans and adjust them to a more acceptable level. This type of equipment was not designed to go into a home or apartment environment and runs a lot louder and hotter than home stuff.

indeed but boy does it perform... love the lower latency in BF4 online. :)
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Deathmage wrote: »
    ahhh so I'm not the only one like wow those things sound like turboprops for how small they are...

indeed but boy does it perform... love the lower latency in BF4 online. :)

What...like half a millisecond?