Spring 2014 VMware courses at Stanly Community College

Comments

• ibbobudibbobud Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    ibbobud...be patient. I had the same issue back in March. It wasn't available until later in the morning, if I remember correctly. The first day intro stuff won't take you too long to accomplish, maybe thirty minutes or so.

Thanks! I will try not to look again until later this evening.
    Certifications: A+, VCA-DCV, and VCA-WM
    Working on: VCP5-DCV, MCSA 2012, and Network+
  • paradocxparadocx Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello all! I was recently registered into the Summer-May session of the course. I'd first heard of this opportunity through this site during a Google-crawl to find colleges such as this for a cost savings way to take it. So, it only made sense to join up and chat with those of you that are on here!

I got my email this morning regarding Moodle and was able to successfully login, and watch the Intro video. The Class Overview Quiz seems to need to be reset from last course as it states it was closed about two months ago.

Look forward to learning with you all!
    paradocx wrote: »
    Hello all! I was recently registered into the Summer-May session of the course. I'd first heard of this opportunity through this site during a Google-crawl to find colleges such as this for a cost savings way to take it. So, it only made sense to join up and chat with those of you that are on here!

I got my email this morning regarding Moodle and was able to successfully login, and watch the Intro video. The Class Overview Quiz seems to need to be reset from last course as it states it was closed about two months ago.

Look forward to learning with you all!

Same issue here as well. Might need to give them some time to get everything setup today. They put this class together on a last minute effort icon_smile.gif
  • swefredswefred Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The mail says that the book [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]VMWARE VSPHERE 5.1: INSTALL,CONFIGURE,MANAGE is mandatory. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I have tried to find it on amazon uk or other stores in Europe/Sweden with no luck. Having it shipped from Stanly to Sweden seams unnecessary.

Does anyone know where it can be bought?
    [/FONT]
    swefred wrote: »
    The mail says that the book VMWARE VSPHERE 5.1: INSTALL,CONFIGURE,MANAGE is mandatory.
    I have tried to find it on amazon uk or other stores in Europe/Sweden with no luck. Having it shipped from Stanly to Sweden seams unnecessary.

The Stanly bookstore is supposed to have it available. I believe multiple people in this forum has said that the book IS NOT needed. Might want someone else to step in and verify this.

From the email received this morning:

The required textbook information is as follows. The price quoted is from the Stanly Community College Bookstore [URL="tel:%28704-991-0229"](704-991-0229[/URL]):
    · TITLE: VMWARE VSPHERE 5.1: INSTALL,CONFIGURE,MANAGE
    · AUTHOR: GILMORE
    · PUBLISHER: GILM
    · NEW: $43.50 + tax
    ibbobud wrote: »
    Same issue here as well. Might need to give them some time to get everything setup today. They put this class together on a last minute effort icon_smile.gif

Yep, just check back later :) Took them a little while to have my account created when I first received information from receiving the email. No rush at this point, being in is what matters!
    swefred wrote: »
    The mail says that the book VMWARE VSPHERE 5.1: INSTALL,CONFIGURE,MANAGE is mandatory.
    I have tried to find it on amazon uk or other stores in Europe/Sweden with no luck. Having it shipped from Stanly to Sweden seams unnecessary.

If I had to guess it's likely a College only text/package. At least up here in Upstate New York colleges are known for making the texts something you can tend to only buy in their store. A lot of people here seem to reccomend Scott Lowell's Mastering VMware 5.5, so that my be easier to get your hands on in Sweden.
  • TremiataTremiata Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was able to get in and do a few things, sign up on VMware mylearn, etc. Looks like we are a go. icon_cheers.gif
    Tremiata wrote: »
    I was able to get in and do a few things, sign up on VMware mylearn, etc. Looks like we are a go. icon_cheers.gif

Where at on moodle did you get the information to login to mylearn?
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was able to get in, do the class introduction and the first video for the week as well.
  • TremiataTremiata Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ibbobud wrote: »
    Where at on moodle did you get the information to login to mylearn?

I created my account on VMware site first. Then entered the info on the moodle site to match.
  • J.TotJ.Tot Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you have to sign up for a vmware mylearn account on your own.

I'm currently starting on module one. just linked mylearn account and completed the first quiz.
    VCP5 : [X] | VCP6 : [X] | MCSE : 70-412 [X] , 70-417 [ ] , 70-413 [ ] , 70-414 [ ] | VCAP : [ ]
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What is the purpose of the VMware mylearn account and is it necessary for the course?
    My understanding is linking your VMware mylearn account is what allows the college to tell VMware you have completed a certified course to make you eligible for the VCP exam certification.

In my section I've completed the initial syllabus quiz and have watched the first two videos, however, the VMware Registration piece seems to be still locked out from the previous session and have yet to be able to complete it.

Good luck everyone!
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Creating the VMware account does link things together, otherwise Stanly will not have a way of letting VMware know you completed the course successfully. Additionally, no book is needed for the course itself. The videos lessons give a great overview and the labs have pdf's telling you what you need to do, step-by-step. You can buy the Mastering VMware vSphere book in order to study for the actual exam.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • MagnumRPMagnumRP Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is weird. The Class Overview Quiz is still closed for me.
  • arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If anyone has something locked (like class intro quiz, vmware registration quiz, etc) I would suggest emailing the instructor. I did that and he opened up the registration one for me.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The course instructor, you will find, is very responsive and extremely helpful. Do not hesitate to reach out to him.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    Anyone having problems with labs yet?

I've been on "Starting Equipment POD" for 20 minutes now. I've tried chrome, Firefox, now on IE.

Edit. Looks like firefox is finally working.

IE Hangs
    Chrome refuses to launch the .jar files, might be something with my extension setup.
    Firefox after some tweaking (Added to security sites, added *.stanly.edu to java security) finally is working.
    VCP5 : [X] | VCP6 : [X] | MCSE : 70-412 [X] , 70-417 [ ] , 70-413 [ ] , 70-414 [ ] | VCAP : [ ]
    Other Lab Issues.

DNS/SAN Virtual server is misconfigured. Ignore DNS. You can complete upto Lab 5. Once you get in the iSCSI portion you should stop and wait for them to fix the labs.

Also, Module 3 Lesson 1 video doesn't load, it instead loads Lesson 2.
  • astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got a few different errors when using Firefox and IE, although I think those issues might have been on the Netlabs equipment side. I did get it working in Chrome, but the .jnlp files were being downloaded that I had to manually run.

Maybe we should use the browser versions Netlabs mentions, Firefox 3.6 anyone? haha I think I'm just going to run my own VM's in Workstation and avoid Netlabs as much as possible. I do think we have to run through Netlabs at least to get credit though.
    You have to do the labs for proper credit.

Firefox latest 29.x is working for me, Add security exceptions to *.stanly.edu
    add an exception in Java for the same. Once they're up and running they're actually pretty good. Fast to use.

Labs are still broken, but they've at least acknowledged that now.
  • Tim_Tim_ Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think lab 3 was supposed to be about creating a virtual machine, but my lab 3 covered the vCenter Server Appliance, instead. Has anyone received the correct lab?
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    I am just now submitting my tuition reimbursement and the total cost for class + test is $252.50.
    Class = 185.00
    Test (with provided 70% off voucher) = 67.50

Thought I'd share.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • dubzerdubzer Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Class is finished and I received my voucher code. Does anyone know if we have to immediately take the exam?
    dubzer wrote: »
    Class is finished and I received my voucher code. Does anyone know if we have to immediately take the exam?

I waited a couple of months.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tprice5 wrote: »
    I waited a couple of months.

When in doubt just check with your instructor. We are always here to help.
  • JonifiedJonified Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    STANLY_CC, it is likely that vSphere 6.0 release date will be announced next month at VMWorld 2014. Is it possible that Stanly CC will update this course to match the new 6.0 version in the future? If not, what about the 5.5 exam (VCP550)? Please shed some light on this for me.
    Thanks in advance.
    STANLY_CC, it is likely that vSphere 6.0 release date will be announced next month at VMWorld 2014. Is it possible that Stanly CC will update this course to match the new 6.0 version in the future? If not, what about the 5.5 exam (VCP550)? Please shed some light on this for me.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jonified wrote: »
    Thanks in advance.

Jonified, they're still on 5.1. They, like many other organization, will not be on 6.0 for awhile. Asking a company when they are moving to a technology when said technology is still in beta doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You are issued a voucher that can be used on either 5.1 or 5.5 (for now). When they will be moving to 5.5 would be the appropriate question.

Also double posting does not help get your post noticed. Stanley_CC has been awesome with their involvement on this forum. We're fortunate to get any feedback at all.
    WGU MSISA
    Thanks for your response, tprice5. Note that the double post was not actually intended lol. I'm quite sure that everyone here knows that double posting doesn't grab additional attention. Note also that I did not ask "when" they would upgrade the course, I asked "if" it is possible that they will do so when the time comes. I simply asked because I am curious. Why? Because I, like many others, will want to upgrade my VCP5-DCV in the future to the VCP6. I don't even know for sure if you have to retake the course to upgrade the VCP cert to be honest (I'll Google that in a minute). Ultimately, I'm asking questions because, well, I have the right to, and they were valid questions. If you don't like my question, just don't comment unless you have something constructive to say. Does that make "a whole lot of sense" to you?