New CCNP R&S Coming

IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
CCNP Routing and Switching - IT Certifications and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

Whoever is still working on the CCNP R&S, you have until January 30th, 2015 to complete this track
BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
Blog: www.network-node.com

Comments

• JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Yay! Finally GA update on this :)
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    It doesn't look too different to be honest. RIP and Frame Relay are still on Route. Looks like a couple of tiny things were tweaked on Switch. Maybe it was just the weighting of certain subjects that they changed.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • tomtom1tomtom1 Member Posts: 375
    Should be about time. Seems I better knock TSHOOT 1.0 out quick then :). I don't see that much difference but feel they should kick Frame Relay out and perhaps do a bit of MPLS basics in ROUTE or SWITCH.

Edit: Hey, that's a nice start:
    Configure and verify VRF lite
    I am wondering when CCNP Voice will be updated, I am about to take CCNA Voice pretty soon and want to figure out if it will be worth waiting for new CCNP V or study for new CCNP R/S first...
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When are the books coming out?
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • FitziFitzi Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One thing I do notice on the new syllabus is all the tasks are "configure/verify x" , there are no more "create an implementation/verification plan for x" style sections in the exam descriptions. I don't think it ever hurts to have this knowledge but it is pretty arbitrary how to test for this skill especially when it relates to a section of technology for example this was listed in every section of the SWITCH exam except for Advanced services.

I tend to think that creating an implementation and verification plan is always going to be loosely based on the following; gather requirements, write design document, create implementation plan from design document, schedule change/implementation and finally review. I don't think this changes dramatically based on the technology you are working with.
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    They took out Wireless and VoIP from the SWITCH which I'm sure should make people happy! The exam blueprint looks like a copy and paste of sections of the blueprint from the CCIE R&S
  • lincis_auslincis_aus Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have passed my Switch exam. Does that mean that if I don't pass my Route and TSHOOT by end of Jan 29th I'll need to redo the switch, or will I just need to do the new TSHOOT and ROUTE?
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When will they start offering the new exams? Are they currently available? I am so happy to see the planning topics gone, because of some of the horror stories I read about bad planning questions on SWITCH.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
    The news exams are already available at your nearest test center. What i have not seen are the books.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
    1.8.a Stackwise

Good thing I have a couple of 3750s. Other than Stackwise, SPAN/RSPAN, and Etherchannel Misconfiguration Guard the new SWITCH looks alot like the old one minus Wireless and QoS.
    JustFred wrote: »
    The news exams are already available at your nearest test center. What i have not seen are the books.

I was going to take SWITCH in a few weeks. Unless they've increased the depth of the existing topics, the new topics shouldn't take more than a few days to practice. I'll probably just take the new exam instead.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yikes! I better get with it! I have Switch and TSHOOT left to completed. I should be sitting for Switch here pretty soon though. TSHOOT I am hoping will be a quick pick up after.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    Just noticed that the syllabus for the new exams are a lot more explicit about what technologies are tested on. The old ones (excepting TSHOOT) were vague/broad topics.
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    A bit disappointed that MPLS didn't make it onto the new exam, but the topics / technologies seem extremely similar to what it was before I believe, aside from the planning portion which is nice to see.
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    lincis_aus wrote: »
    I have passed my Switch exam. Does that mean that if I don't pass my Route and TSHOOT by end of Jan 29th I'll need to redo the switch, or will I just need to do the new TSHOOT and ROUTE?

I second this, if you have passed the Route do you need to finish the current Switch and Tshoot by January 2015?
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice to see that the exam is changing. However I was really hoping that Frame Relay would have been completely removed :/
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    bharvey92 wrote: »
    I second this, if you have passed the Route do you need to finish the current Switch and Tshoot by January 2015?

Cisco usually allows you to mix and match the exams. Don't see why this would be any different.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    bharvey92 wrote: »

Same question here. Hopefully someone chimes in that can answer this.

Edit* Just saw networker's post.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Oh really, just wondering if anyone on the forums could confirm this.

I think that 6 months is enough time for Switch and TShoot tbh :)
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JustFred wrote: »

Based on the usual announce/publish cycle, I'd guess May-July next year. Though R&S usually has a faster turn-around being Cisco's core business.
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    You can mix and match exams. If you passed the current SWITCH or ROUTE exam, they will still fulfill their respective requirements even after the new exams take over. Same applies to the TSHOOT I guess, but why would you need it to count when it is always done last?
  • Kenneth196Kenneth196 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Question for everyone - I'm getting ready to start studying for the current ROUTE exam - should I continue on & just mix/match my exams? I"m afraid that since I'm studying the "old" ROUTE material, the new TSHOOT material will have new ROUTE material on it. Or I could also study any new material via youtube, etc. Thoughts? Or should I wait until study material comes out for the new exams and start from there (I'd prefer to atleast do the old ROUTE exam though since I just got various study material for it)
    "Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks." - Unknown
  • mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would personally start studying my material that I have. Protocols don't really change, sure maybe new versions come out....but start studying now and you can decide in a couple months on which exam you want to sit. If you take the new TSHOOT and the older version ROUTE/SWITCH then I would recommend studying the stuff that got added to the new exams because the new TSHOOT will be based on the new ROUTE/SWITCH information.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This has given me the kick up the ass I need to get these exams done...

6 Months max to get a CCNP whilst working an entry level job... Challenge accepted!! icon_cheers.gif
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    Well this will certainly push me to finish CCNP R/S this year, which was already my goal. I've been so busy at work studying for ROUTE has been a low priority.
  • CiderCider Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know of books for switch/route/ts.

I am scared to get any now since they will probably change.
    There aren't any out yet.
  • CiderCider Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    OK thanks. For those of you who have been here when exam changes like this happened, does the old exam still pertain and you can just learn the extra that was put in?
    az,

Ciscopress has it on their site that the books are coming out later this year. Samples of the first chapters are also available for download.

About CCNP > Certification Info