Options

BACKUPS

sujee27sujee27 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
hey guys could you help me with this backup thing thats really confusing me... its just that every practice test i see has a different meaning for each type of backups

full
incremental
deferential
copy
daily

i mean that sometimes it would say leaves archive bit on, clears archive bit, resets, things like that... but i know its either archive bit on or off...so which is which is what i dont get...please help me thanx

Comments

• Options
    chaperschapers Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Full backups back up everything, generally once a week. All of the data is backed up, and after backing up the archive bit is cleared. Full backups are very slow, but very reliable.

Incremental backups back up files that have changed since the last backup. If a file has not been changed, it will not be backed up. This method is very fast, and after backing up the archive bits are cleared.

Differential backups back all files that have changed since the last full backup. After backing up the archive bit is not cleared using this method.
  • Options
    gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    Full and Copy - They both do full backups, but full resets the marker, whereas copy does not.

incremental - Backs up everything that hasn't been backed up since the last back up. If a full backup was done on Sunday, but then incremental backups were done on Monday and Tuesday, the marker would be reset, and at that point, if another incremental backup was done on Wednesday, it would only backup Wednesday's files.

differental - Backs up everything that has been changed since the last time the marker was reset. If a full backup was done on Sunday, then differental backups done on Mon-Tues, the marker wouldn't be reset. So if a differental was done on Wednesday, it would back up everything that was changed on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

Daily - If a full backup was done on Sunday , but no backup was done on Monday, then a incremental backup done on Tuesday would back up Monday and Tuesday. If the daily backup was done on Tuesday instead, it would skip Monday , and just backup everything on Tuesday.
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243

Archive Checked?
    Archived Cleared?

Copy No No
    (Copy does not affect any previous or future backups)
    Full No, do it all Yes
    Incremental Yes Yes
    Differential Yes No
    Daily No, only files stamped within 24 hours No