What was your favorite search engine BEFORE Google...

Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
A simple question - what was your favorite search engine BEFORE Google or were you always on Google? This might be one for those of you who actually used 56k modems like!

I was a Altavista fanboy, every computer I touched got Altavista whether you liked it or not! I hate Yahoo! always have and I was a bit disappointed when Altavista got taken over by Yahoo.

Those of you that don't know what Altavista looked like this is picture of it!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Go88C_d8bEs/TN1sWzoF4DI/AAAAAAAAAEk/_9_Cis-OKK4/s1600/altavista.jpg

So what did you use?

Comments

• Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Also used Altavista, and others like Yahoo and AskJeeves (yes, lol)
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wow Altavista, that brings back some memories, Google really did sound the death toll of a lot of search engines. You forget what a huge strep it was when it came along.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I used Yahoo then switched to Google and now use Bing.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    I was a Altavista fanboy, every computer I touched got Altavista whether you liked it or not! I hate Yahoo! always have and I was a bit disappointed when Altavista got taken over by Yahoo.

Do you have 33 1/3 RPM LPs laying around, too? :D

Really, I dug Altavista too. Talk about a blast from the past to hear that name again. They were the better search engine for researching technical matters back in the day.

Now, where'd I put that OS/2 disc? My Turbo Pascal book? :)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    I did that Bing vs Google challenge, tried it 4 times and the best result I got was 4 to 1 in Google's favor lol
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    we really need people to put their ages on here to :), remember altavista getting released, and dam it that was back in 1995!!!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Back in the day I used Lycos, Excite and Altavista. From that went to Yahoo and nowadays use 90% Google, 10% Bing.
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    petedude wrote: »
    Do you have 33 1/3 RPM LPs laying around, too? :D

Yup still have quite a few of them, in addition to hundreds of 45's and 78's, of course now a days, they normally get played on a USB turntable attached to a computer, but I still have a old tube amp, pre-amp and a nice set of Bose 901 series 3 speakers that get used once in a while. Of course, until google came along, my search engine of choice was Altavista.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went back and forth between google and yahoo for awhile, like 11 or 12 years ago. Now I just use google.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A long time ago I used Hotbot primarily then would use yahoo and lycos if I didn't find what I was looking for there. That was between 14-17 years ago......then yahoo was my primary until i got on the google bandwagon I think it was about 2 years after its' launch.
  • AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yahoo was the biggie, but I remember also using Webcrawler and Dogpile, circa mid-90s.
  • bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    Gopher! After that I used Excite for searches prior to Google.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Altavista and Yahoo. I remember doing side-by-side searches, using two instances of Netscape, just to see which one was "better". Altavista always had a huge lead on Yahoo when it came to results. Damn. I miss Altavista.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Back in the day I used Lycos, Excite and Altavista. From that went to Yahoo and nowadays use 90% Google, 10% Bing.

I used Lycos, Excite and Altavista "in this order :D", now it is 40% Yahoo and 60% Google.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MSN, Altavista, Yahoo, and then Google.

Anyone remember those sidebar (like the favorite/history side panel) search engines in IE? I can't imagine using those now.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    In order of use:

Yahoo
    AltaVista
    Excite & Dogpile joint 3rd
  • lincis_auslincis_aus Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lycos .. I also used Astalavista.box.sk (for stuff ... and things ...)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I was a huge Altavista guy back in the day. I also used Lycos as well, and used Yahoo for the directories. Now it's purely Google (more by habit than anything else).

I'm only 32, but man I miss the old days of the internet, Geocities!!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone remember Netscape Navigator?
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yahoo, Webcrawler and Dogpile...and yes I loaded up Netscape Navigator on the school computers I worked on because IE was just unbearable.
    Kai123 wrote: »
    Anyone remember Netscape Navigator?

Oh yea ... Forgot about that .. Geee I fell old ..
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Please don't say you actually used AskJeeves!!!

Bloody hate them. I don't think necessarily it is a bad search engine. But I think their aggressive marketing, being distributed with every frikin piece of software on the planet, sometimes not even by choice or cheeky sub menus, ruined it .. I just see that logo and I'd love to trash the screen.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Metacrawler, infoseek for me. Metacrawler consistently had better search results than anyone else at the time (for me at least.)
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Being born in '91, I don't even know some of the search engines you guys mentioned. I believe I remember using Yahoo back in elementary school, but it's been mostly Google.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    colemic wrote: »
    Metacrawler, infoseek for me. Metacrawler consistently had better search results than anyone else at the time (for me at least.)

Oh snap! How could I forget Infoseek!!
    Being born in '91, I don't even know some of the search engines you guys mentioned. I believe I remember using Yahoo back in elementary school, but it's been mostly Google.

Sad are the ones that never got to know blowing out NES tapes and connecting to AOL with dial up modem lol.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dogpile, Ms Dewey:

MsDewey.JPG
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...