CompTIA Server+ Remote Proctor Experience

tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
I saw CompTIA launched a pilot program to test the idea of remote proctoring for their exams. I was fresh off the heels of the ITIL, which was also remote proctored and a great experience, so I was interested in pursuing the option. To entice test takers CompTIA offered 50% off their normal rate of about $260, bringing the total to $130. I bought the voucher which expired on Nov. 15.

I work 12 hours a day and commute an hour each way so finding time to do it was very hard. My wife and daughter also just moved out to my location so that contributed to the distraction. The biggest hurdle, however, was my internet connection and hardware requirements.

CompTIA stated you have to have a Windows machine with a webcam. I run a Macbook with Windows 7 running in VMware Fusion. I couldn't get the built in iSight to passthrough to the windows VM so I bought a USB webcam. This allowed me to pass the system test on the Pearson Vue site. Once the stars aligned and I had a decent enough connection (above .35MB) I started to log into the test.

I started the test and followed the on screen instructions to call a proctor and get my 9-digit testing pin. Once I punched it in I launched the test but the webcam failed to recognize. I actually had the system test and the test sign in opened side-by-side with them passing and failing, respectively. I gave up that night and tried again last night (14th) on a coworkers computer who lives in my building.

The whole thing was a bit of a headache. It took a good while to even launch the test but that may be due to the connection. Once I finally got the hardware/connection issues resolved the proctor had me stand, empty my pockets, and turn them inside out. I had to show my workspace, ie, floor, wall, desk etc, to ensure it was clear of everything. Once everything in my physical environment was cleared she had me shutdown everything on the computer with the exception of the proctoring software you have to install at the beginning.

The test itself was easy enough. I thought it was a bit long, 100 questions, but that may be due to the pilot program itself.

Anyways, I passed. I liked not having to schedule a test and go down to a test center. It was a little bit of a headache but once they get the kinks worked out I think it'll be a much more convenient medium for test taking.
Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
WGU MSISA
Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2

Comments

• evarneyevarney Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I set my laptop up with windows and a webcam and microphone and went into my bathroom. I had removed everything from the sink toilet and shower. I ran the system test and i passed and I felt like my system would work.

It wouldn't launch. I just sat there with the screen with the phone number for support. So I walked out and went to my pc and canceled it. I figured it wouldn't work and didn't want to bother with it. $130.00 would have been a good price too. Really pissed me off.
  • brooklynzoo81brooklynzoo81 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anybody know if comptia will be doing this again for this exam?
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    I doubt it. If they are planning to, they haven't publicized it.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You'd know if they were going to do it again. For the Server+, I doubt it. It's such an outdated exam. Maybe they're planning to update the exam (badly needed) and the remote proctor was to gauge interest. Who knows.
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    It's being retired at the end of 2014.
    Try and site your source when making statements like these, please..
    WGU MSISA
  • PsychoData91PsychoData91 Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Misread a chart. Healthcare IT Technician is being retired and I flubbed a line.