NCSA with Netapp?

kbowen0188kbowen0188 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
I do not work with Netapp equipment nor do I work for them, but I would like to study for and possibly earn this certification. Is anyone familiar with it or has anyone achieved it?

Comments

• tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    kbowen0188 wrote: »
    I do not work with Netapp equipment nor do I work for them, but I would like to study for and possibly earn this certification. Is anyone familiar with it or has anyone achieved it?

I am taking a NetApp course this fall. If you are interested, you can see THIS THREAD for details. If you aren't taking a course you will like find other means of gettings hands-on, either from your employer, or from 'obtaining' the NetApp simulator that is usually provided in the classroom.

Try doing a search on these forums and seeing what others have posted about this so far.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • kbowen0188kbowen0188 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had actually just been researching that and was very interested. However, I see discussion about a mixed EMC/NetApp course... but when I am looking around on the site I actually only see a EMC course available. Or is that what I am looking for, it just doesn't mention NetApp in the public description?

Also, when it comes to Storage, are there any other technologies I should know first? You seem like you might be wise to such things? I am currently studying Linux, and have experience in Windows Enterprise environments, though only a bit of troubleshooting/support experience with servers.
    I had actually just been researching that and was very interested. However, I see discussion about a mixed EMC/NetApp course... but when I am looking around on the site I actually only see a EMC course available. Or is that what I am looking for, it just doesn't mention NetApp in the public description?
    I can't offer anymore insight than whats listed in that thread. Course numbers are listed so you should be able to verify with 100% certainty.
    Also, when it comes to Storage, are there any other technologies I should know first? You seem like you might be wise to such things? I am currently studying Linux, and have experience in Windows Enterprise environments, though only a bit of troubleshooting/support experience with servers.
    I would be familiar with A+ topics like knowing your different RAID configs, connection types (SAS/SATA), throughput limits of fiber/ethernet. You will need to know how to configure shares and DFS in Windows Server. I haven't had any formal training in data storage tech, only in virtualization, which somewhat goes hand-in-hand, so I can't say what you definitely need to know. I just listed some things I know you will need from things that have come up at work and that I've come across in my lab/research.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    Does anyone know how to actually take this exam?

I have sat through some of the free training which is pretty useful for myself considering my involvement with Netapp environments... but I don't see where to actually TAKE this exam.
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tprice5 wrote: »
    I am taking a NetApp course this fall. If you are interested, you can see THIS THREAD for details. If you aren't taking a course you will like find other means of gettings hands-on, either from your employer, or from 'obtaining' the NetApp simulator that is usually provided in the classroom.

Try doing a search on these forums and seeing what others have posted about this so far.

The DCCC course won't prepare you for the NCSA (which I am currently studying for). In fact, we were refused NetApp vouchers from last Spring's EMC/Netapp course.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

we were refused NetApp vouchers from last Spring's EMC/Netapp course.

Whoa, whoa... why? The biggest attraction for this course is the vouchers. Will be pretty bummed if I don't get one for both NetApp and EMC.
    WGU MSISA
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I can't vouch for the NCSA, but 2 of my former co-workers took the NCDA, which is a step above and only one of them passed (both are VMware VCP and have experience working with storage/virtualization technology at the enterprise level). They both advised that the NCDA is very difficult and you need hands on experience to do well; only one of them passed it. I think NCSA is a good start, even reviewing CompTIA: Storage + material will help (but not be enough). NetApp Now has some free classes that you can take, unfortunately you have to either be a customer or partner :/.
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tprice5 wrote: »
    Whoa, whoa... why? The biggest attraction for this course is the vouchers. Will be pretty bummed if I don't get one for both NetApp and EMC.

The excuse he used was that you needed to go thru the advanced storage course to pass the exam. He later stated that he would give you the NCSA voucher if you asked for it via e-mail...still waiting.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I do not have my NCSA or NCDA (though if you want to register, just go through Pearson Vue, like most IT certs), but I do assist in management of half a petabyte worth of Netapp filers of various sizes and generations.

In regards to experience though, if you can't get your hand on actual filers, the Netapp simulator IS good enough for real experience. I've taken two of their week long courses, and while my Data Ontap Fundamentals course used physical hardware (Based in Germany, which we accessed remotely), the Cluster Mode NCDA class was all done with the Netapp simulators. The Cisco GoldLABs also use the Netapp simulator to provide a boot image for some of the UCS labs. So definitely make use of that simulator. Also register an account at now.netapp.com, as there's tons of useful documentation there, as well as practice tests, etc.

Don't let your vouchers expire when you get them. I'd have my NCDA now if my last voucher hadn't expired before I got around to the test. :)