Going for Net+, Security+, CCENT, CCNA, and others in less than a year - possible?

ElitisElitis Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just passed my 220-802 today (769 and a 797 on the 220-801), and I may be taking the TestOut certification either this week or next. Any real merit to getting it? I'm also attempting to get my Network+, Security+, CCENT, CCNA, a few different Microsoft certifications, maybe an HP one, and maybe the Linux+. Is it possible? My IT instructor seems to think I'm capable of it, and since the school is paying for them (well, the majority of them), I've been thinking why not? I'm not sure if I'll go to college or not - currently, a high school student - so I was thinking, even though, none of this is really where I'm headed, it would be a nice alternative to have all of these certifications. My IT instructor even mentioned how incredible this would look to investors - going to run a start-up - considering the fact that I'll graduate when I'm only 17.

I've only got until June of 2015 to take them while I'm still in school, so I'm not paying out of pocket. Otherwise, I wouldn't even consider it. What do you guys think? Is it manageable? I've been programming since I was 11, so this isn't all entirely new to me. Couple that with my photographic memory, and natural test taking abilities, and well...

I'm not saying I'm a genius - even though, I've been called that - but at least a couple of these besides the Network+ and Security+ I should be able to do. The best analogies I've heard about some of these is the Net+ is like the "what", while the Cisco certifications are like the "how", which kind of makes me nervous. How should I study for these? I'm already planning on taking the Network+ first, since the Cisco ones are harder. But should I take the Security+ beforehand too? How should I study for all of this?

Comments

• DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Quite ambitious. I would say that now that you have your A+, there is a little overlap with Network+ so go for that one next. With the basic comprehension still in your mind, go for your CCENT (ICND1) to get your feet wet for your CCNA (ICND2). Then I would aim for Security+ since you should have a great understanding of the 3 way handshake and the various types of attacks. Afterwards, sprinkle some Microsoft MCSA and Linux+ on your resume recipe and you should be quite marketable for any entry to junior type of job. Feed off of that experience and be aware of the "ceiling" in your position so you can aim for degree to surpass that limitation.

So, assuming you acquired those certs and experience, going to a place like WGU's BS in IT (Security) should go very quickly. Show your employers your eagerness to learn that is nicely complimented with the tenacity to be better than you are and I can see you living quite comfortably by 25. This is assuming that life does meddle with your plans, especially relationships...but we are all human.

Its good to have a plan, or rather, goals to go by. Hold yourself responsible for any reason why you couldn't achieve what you set for yourself. Remember, you are not studying to pass the certification, but gaining the knowledge to use it in a career. The certifications/degrees shows your comprehension and your willingness to learn to those that do not know you, which in turn can open doors to interviews...it up to your knowledge at that point.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and welcome to the Techexams forumsicon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's possible if you have:

discipline to stick with it
    proper materials (physical or virtual) for each exam
    understanding from family that you need study time

I was only thinking about it the other day, I managed to pass CCENT this very week last year and then went on to get CCNA R&S, ITILv3, Mobiltiy+ (no study required), JNCIA & LPIC1 within 12 months. There were times when I wasn't studying when I felt like I was slacking but I defo accomplished a lot in that period through hard work and those 3 things above.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I believe you could definitely do it, but like everyone above me said, there would have to be the discipline to do so. If you study 4-5 hours a week, don't expect quick results. Before you start anything, you need to set goals ON PAPER. Set your finish date for each cert, your projected test date, set your finances aside for the certs if you aren't gonna get reimbursed, and make sure you're setting realistic goals and setting time aside for things necessary i.e. family, school, and recreation. The order Doyen went in is excellent. Net+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA, and then what? Microsoft certs and Linux+ are kinda of their own, so do those last. The four you originally mentioned compliment each other. One last piece of advice: Don't burn yourself out. Then you'll completely stop caring for a period of time and lose momentum. Pace yourself when you start completely lacking understanding of the topic. It doesn't necessarily mean you don't understand it, it means you need to take a breather. I don't know what your therapy is, but mine's the gym, writing, and guitar. Keep it real man, and good luck.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anything is possible if you put your mind to it, but prepared for lots of coffee and labbing! Good luck!
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its definitely possible if you study hard and if you have the time for all the labbing you need, especially for CCNA. In 2013, I actually completed Network+, Security+, Server+, CCENT, CCNA, MCSA: Windows 7 and SSCP and VCA-DCV but that doesn't count :D
  • The Silent AssassinThe Silent Assassin Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is possible to do so but since you are still in HS you have quite a while to earn all those. Cramming that much in to your mind in the course of a year might cause you to forget a good chunk of it. I would advise you to get some sort of college exp just so you can put it on the resume; perhaps an Associate's Degree. Coming fresh out of high school with all those certs and no exp might make it harder to land a good job where you can put some of the certs to good use.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Your pursuit is totally do-able.

One thing I would make a note about if you can, one thing I see missed on this forum is that you should also take some form of training on communication. See most IT people think that getting a technical cert or degree is all you need but in all seriousness I've learned the past few years that IT is 90% communication/political and only 10% technical even though studying for technical will take up probably 200+ days in a year. - If you can take some communication classes at your local college this would be extremely beneficial to you at your age and really make you stand out on-top of the technical certifications.

I'm actually doing the exact same pursuit with the exception that once I get the CCNA R&S cert (studying for the CCENT currently with the exam set for July 20th and VCP from Stanley starting August something) I'm enrolling in WGU for the BA in Information Technology - Security. I already have two BA's in different industries (Forestry and Mechanical Engineering) so a ton of of my classes will transfer over and I'm sure my college stint for the BA will be drastically shorter. Right now though in the evening twice a week I'm taking a class held at NYU on communication in the workplace; it's offered as certificate.

This is my 2 cents for now....
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yes possible, I took all 8 of my certs in two years, now on hiatus for a year until going rampage (upping my skills for OSCP, the next milestone)
  • watermelonswatermelons Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Lionel, quick question. With all those certs on pen testing, how much programming does one need to know? Is it possible to have little programming experience, and be successful as a pen tester with CEH, OSCP, etc.?
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Anything is possible, afterwards you can sit and stare at the stack of papers with your name on them and gloat.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anything is possible, afterwards you can sit and stare at the stack of papers with your name on them and gloat.

icon_lol.gif It does seem that way. Remember Elitus, experience trumps certs...however, you can use certs to get your foot in the door for experience.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Lionel, quick question. With all those certs on pen testing, how much programming does one need to know? Is it possible to have little programming experience, and be successful as a pen tester with CEH, OSCP, etc.?

Hi Watermelons

3 levels of pentester

Beginner
    This is the point where you would be doing the monkey + tool thing. Everyone got to have a start somewhere.
    • Familarising with how each tools works and command line.
    • Understanding key protocols, networks and how they communicate.
    • Understands how to use linux (setup/install/update packages)
    • Understands how each attacks works and what tools to leverage to replicate them
    • Reporting
    Advanced (Mix Scripting + Tools)
    • Importing exploits using exisitng framework (ruby)
    • How to do privielage escalation on a system using command line
    • How to use leverage existing python to replicate attacks not found in tools
    • Examine memory layout using debugger
    • How to perform fuzzing and test for vunerabilities
    Expert (Exploit Research)
    • How to bypass ASLR and DEP
    • Writing/modfiy shellcode (assmebly language) for various platforms
    • Examing memory layout using debugger even more efficiently
    • Writing your own exploits
    The end game would be
    Ruby/Python/Perl/C/Assembly + many existing tools for pentesting. However, for a start, you don't really have to worry about them, nor you would really require them for junior positions until you progress onwards.
  • ElitisElitis Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just about done with TestOut's Networking videos. All that's left is the troubleshooting series, which I should finish before the school year starts back up later this month. I'll get more hands-on experience during class, and I'll have a chance to ask questions, and work on the topics I don't understand well. So, I think I'll take my Network+ exam sometime in September. If I take it then, I'll have had about 3 or 4 months of studying and about a month of hands-on experience. This will also be several months before the other students take the exam, so I might wait another month or so (October maybe), if I don't feel confident about it.

I think I'll tackle the Security+ next, even though I like the plan Doyen suggested, since my second semester grade depends on either the work I do for it, or I get an automatic A+ in the class if I pass the Sec+ exam. After I'm think CCENT, CCNA, and then the Microsoft certs, and whatever else I decide to take. Should be a really busy year.
  • PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
    You should keep in mind that certifications expire. It's probably better that you space some out so that they renew eachother.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you don't know what you want to do with your life then I would suggest getting enrolled in AP classes that provide you with college credits. They will probably serve you better in the near future.

If you have a photographic memory any of the entry level exams will be easy for you. It's just a matter of discipline to read the material. So if your set on an IT career then by all means go for the certs.

Good Luck!
  • ElitisElitis Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pupil wrote: »
    You should keep in mind that certifications expire. It's probably better that you space some out so that they renew eachother.
    I realize this. The Network+ and Security+ are a part of the class I'm taking, so, there isn't much I can do about those two if I don't want to pay for them myself. The others, are also being paid for, so no point in waiting when someone else is paying for me to take these.
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    If you don't know what you want to do with your life then I would suggest getting enrolled in AP classes that provide you with college credits. They will probably serve you better in the near future.

If you have a photographic memory any of the entry level exams will be easy for you. It's just a matter of discipline to read the material. So if your set on an IT career then by all means go for the certs.

Good Luck!
    I don't know if I mentioned it in the OP, but the class I'm in is dual-credit, so I'll get college credits. It's not an AP class though, I don't need to take any tests in order to get the credits, they're guaranteed. Anyway, like I said in the OP, I'm starting my own business. I'm getting the certs for various reasons, even though they won't really do anything for me as a business owner.
  • mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, I did it.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...