Frusturated with linux yet again & Cheet sheets for switches

JinverarJinverar Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Guys

I'm board at work venting a bit, I'm frusturated with linux yet again. I have been using Linux from the dark ages and some years it gives me nothing but grief. I am going for the certificaion now and still nothing but headakes learning all the switches. Normally I get to use the Man files or google but this is taking it a step beyond. The practice stuff is teaching me a great deal that I was doing without even knowing the exsact tools. I have been using the Shawn Powers videos, and Staffkit.com. The programs are excelent. I am also using some other CBT videos. One of the practice exams I have is both LPIC 101 and 102 combined into 600 questions. That is a nightmere. I am getting very close. Are there any tricks to memorize the tools with Switches? Ugh I'm sure that after I am done these tests I will be further ahead then where I was. Linux can be frusterating though, all my peers cut it down. They cut it down because they don't understand it. I love the security side of Linux. Linux seems to be more for the gurus like us that like the power of command lines.

~J
Jinverar, TSS

Comments

• xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I'm learning Linux myself currently but I'm still debating whether to go for the Linux+/LPIC1. I'm using that framework to guide my studying, but it is very heavy on learning flags/switches/etc. In the real world (where I'm responsible for 25 XenServer boxes) what matters is that I know a certain flag or capability exists. If I know it's available, I can hit the man page and search for the flag to use. It makes me lean toward finishing the Linux+ material, but then moving on to RHCSA for an actual certification since it's totally performance based and reflects real world usage of the cli.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • amcmillanttamcmillantt Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Jinverar

Sorry to here about your woes. Memorizing command line switches, variables, etc., happens by a lot of repetition and experience (using Ubuntu Server, Debian or CentOS on a VM and installing various servers via labs). This is all well and good, however I take it you are a more visual learner.

You can using a technique known as mind mapping, it takes a little patience, but the rewards are endless. You can use this in every endeavour, including learning a new language. The software I use is called Xmind, there are various others, but this one is well spoken of online. I picked up a kindle book on the topic on Amazon under $10.00 and various videos on youtube helped a lot.

Basically it is using your way of thinking and mapping it on a...well....map. Take for instance your situation, you can start with a command and choose to map every switch in a hierarchy or any other logic diagram. When you see your thought process in arriving to an answer or memorization on a map it becomes extremely easy to study as you will see the image rather than trying hard to remember pure text on what you read. This has helped me greatly in my studies. I hope this helps.

P.S.

I actually posted this in a similar thread to this thinking it was yours. I do apologize when you look at a similar post you may see my reply, it was initially meant for you.
  • JinverarJinverar Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. xenodamus Good reply, That is an option for sure. I will see how I feel although I really have my sights set on the Linux + exam then the GPEN exam after that. It was my yearly goal. I am very close and each day goes on I get a little closer so I will keep trucking on here with the plan.

Amcmillantt. Wow thank you for the mind map idea. I can't believe I forgot that one. I have used them in the past. I will try it out and see what the outcome is. Just another tool in the old tool box eh.

Thank you for the feedback. The staffkit linux seems to be helping me a ton right now.

~J
    Jinverar, TSS
  • VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    +1 ^^ I also use XMind for mind mapping. Great way to visually map out your study from 'Broad to Specific'. It is how I do all my studying along with using colors and images since colors help stimulate the mind into remembering easier and images that help you visualize it. Great tool for planning and brainstorming as well.

There are also mind mapping courses out there you can find such as one created by Iris. Mind Mapping Course | Iris Speed Reading
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    Xenodamus makes a good point. In the long run a RHCSA trumps the Linux+ in every way. In some ways it's easier to just jump straight into Red Hat since it focuses more on tasks rather than memorising commands you might rarely ever use outside the exam.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Jinverar wrote: »
    Hey Guys

I'm board at work venting a bit, I'm frusturated with linux yet again. I have been using Linux from the dark ages and some years it gives me nothing but grief. I am going for the certificaion now and still nothing but headakes learning all the switches. Normally I get to use the Man files or google but this is taking it a step beyond. The practice stuff is teaching me a great deal that I was doing without even knowing the exsact tools. I have been using the Shawn Powers videos, and Staffkit.com. The programs are excelent. I am also using some other CBT videos. One of the practice exams I have is both LPIC 101 and 102 combined into 600 questions. That is a nightmere. I am getting very close. Are there any tricks to memorize the tools with Switches? Ugh I'm sure that after I am done these tests I will be further ahead then where I was. Linux can be frusterating though, all my peers cut it down. They cut it down because they don't understand it. I love the security side of Linux. Linux seems to be more for the gurus like us that like the power of command lines.

~J

I've been using Linux since maybe 98, and there really aren't any tricks....other than the more you use it and play with it, the easier it gets.. imho.

Good luck with the test, let us know how it goes!
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most Linux switch make some sort of sense (as in -h for human readable, -l for list, -a for all)

it's just a matter of practice, it is very hard memorizing without practicing the available flags, I am not sure this is the way to pass an exam, I believe it's easier if you practice the most common tools switches (ls / cat / tac / tar / cut /awk etc etc ).
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are flags anything with -?
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yep.
    ls -lh
    tar czvf
    free -m

are all flags.