Overloaded with information and unsure where to start.

zinRzinR Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey, guys.

So after spending time in labor/retail jobs/temp jobs i've decided that it's time to stop wasting time and just get a cert so i can start a IT career. the problem is i have absolutely no clue where to start. Do i get the entry CompTIA certs such as A+ or should i skip them? my 'end goal' at the moment would be getting a security admin spot so should i get the Security+ cert and work my way to CCENT to CCNA and follow the Cisco path from there? maybe pepper in some Linux here and there to make myself more attractive to employers.

The 2nd problem is my knowledge on most of these subjects. if you walk up to me and tell me 'hey, you! kid. i want you to build me a computer.' i'll build it in a day or two but if you were to ask me to configure some network the most you'd get from me is a blank look but i've been told my whole life that i'm a quick learner so i have that going for me. My plan to cover this is to enroll at West LA college and take some of their classes so i can get a foundation before i even attempt to take a test. good idea or do anyone here know of a school in the Southern California area that focuses solely on helping one pass these test?

Comments

• tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Honestly go to a good (non-profit) university or technical college and get a degree. I went to a technical school and a lot of the technical classes are based on certifications like the CCNA, A+, Network+, and in my case even Linux+.

IT is very competitive and with retail experience and a A+ it will be very hard to get your foot in the door.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Here's a recommended career progression path for you:
    1. study for and pass CompTIA A+. This will give you a broad and much needed foundation. You do not need to attend a college to do this. Learn to self-study and save yourself literally 10s of thousands of dollars over the course of a career.
    2. now pass the CompTIA Security+
    3. are you enrolled in a college? Get a degree in Information Systems. A.S. or B.S. is fine. High school edu only makes life harder.
    4. As soon as you've passed the A+ and while you're doing #2 and #3, find a helpdesk job. Or IT contractor jobs on craigslist. Or get a friend who works in IT to refer you somewhere. This is the start of your experience...the sooner, the better!
    Now ignore everything else. CCNA? Don't worry about it for now. Once you've made it through A+ and S+, you will have a much clearer perspective on how to progress.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IF you spend to much time working on the perfect path you will never get started. I would start with A+ to give you the basics.

I find in my area a lot of companies require a degree but often entry level is OK with an Associates. I am currently working on that along with certifications so I can make a career change into IT.

Good Luck!
  • zinRzinR Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tkerber wrote: »
    Honestly go to a good (non-profit) university or technical college and get a degree. I went to a technical school and a lot of the technical classes are based on certifications like the CCNA, A+, Network+, and in my case even Linux+.

IT is very competitive and with retail experience and a A+ it will be very hard to get your foot in the door.

West LA College is a community college part of the Los Angeles Community College district. it's not some University of Phoenix profit type school.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome! I also would recommend you start with the Comptia A+ certification since you mention your existing knowledge in the area. It is an entry level certification that will help your job prospects and give you a good idea as to what it takes to pass an IT cert. Do a Google search for Professor Messer, a lot of his stuff comes highly recommended and also hit up the A+ subforum for more study material suggestions.

Personally, I think the community college is a great idea to gain some hands on learning experiences. One of the first things you should do is look into work study programs and/or check the career center for part time IT jobs. Getting your first IT job is going to be the biggest hurdle you face in getting started so use those resources to your advantage!

After that start thinking about what type of IT professional you want to develop into. Do you want to work with networks, systems or security? One of the best things you can do is regularly check out the job boards for various types of IT jobs. Look at what the market is asking for as far as positions, competencies, job descriptions, knowledge and requirements for those positions.

Best of luck to you!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response