Next step! (need advice)

OhsupOhsup Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I recently passed the Network+ (destroyed it), and I need some advice as to my next step. Originally I had planned on getting the Security+ next, but I will have my security classes in the spring. At the moment I am contemplating CCENT, and doing some work with wireshark on the side (got a wireshark 101 book). My brother recommended I learn wireshark, and how to write scripts for automation processes. I have looked into python a bit so far. Should I wait a bit on certs for awhile being as my classes will be covering some
that I am looking to get, or just shoot for CCNA. My main goal is network admin, technician, or engineer etc. I want to find an internship/part time job, but want to have the tools to be effective. What would make for the best decision in your opinions?

Comments

• revnedrevned Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took my Security+ and now studying for my Network+. I know I did mine backwards. From taking the Security+, there are Network+ sections that are covered in the Security+. As it is fresh in your mind, I suggest you take the Security+ and then work on the CCENT. That is what I will be doing. To me, the CompTIA certifications are just a broad understanding of the technologies and terminologies that you will encounter. As far as tools you will not learn them from those two certifications. It will help in landing that internship/part time job you are looking. You should then work on your CCENT/CCNA which will definitely immerse you in the Cisco network products. Just my two cents. Good Luck!
  • ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    I agree with the above post. And besides going through Security+ before your class should help you achieve a better grade.
  • DonM34DonM34 Member Posts: 139
    @Ohsup, we are on the same boat, I'm taking a Security class in the fall semester which will help with the Security+ preparation. On the other hand I want to get things going with the CCNA. I concluded with working towards MCTS (Active Directory) exam and using my Security class as my preparation. My goal is to take the MCTS exam in October and Security in November. Than ill concentrate solely on CCNA part 1 and 2.
    2014 Goal [ ] CCENT [ ] MCTS (Active Directory) [ ] CompTIA Security+
  • OhsupOhsup Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DonM34 wrote: »
    @Ohsup, we are on the same boat, I'm taking a Security class in the fall semester which will help with the Security+ preparation. On the other hand I want to get things going with the CCNA. I concluded with working towards MCTS (Active Directory) exam and using my Security class as my preparation. My goal is to take the MCTS exam in October and Security in November. Than ill concentrate solely on CCNA part 1 and 2.

I was going to do what you are doing Don. My advisor told me to wait with the OS certifications until I am hired though. Just in case I end up in an Linux enviroment. He also said the employer will usually pay for those. I think I may just go ahead and start with Security+. A decision needs to be made soon hehe. I was so excited to get the N+ done, and relax a bit. Now I don't even know what to do with myself, and feel I need to get back to work on another certification.