Options

Are these the only port numbers I need to know?

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
Review Table: Common Port Numbers

Port Number
Name and/or Use

TCP 20&21
FTP

TCP 22
SSH

TCP 23
Telnet

TCP 25
SMTP (Sendmail)

UDP 53
DNS

UDP 67
DHCP

UDP 69
TFTP

TCP 80
HTTP

TCP 110
POP3

UDP 123
NTP

TCP 143
IMAP4

UDP 161
SNMP

TCP 443
SSL

Comments

• Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yep, I'd say so.

You might want to add in RDP at TCP port 3389 for good measure.

Also, DNS primarily uses UDP, but can also use TCP port 53. (Not sure if that matters on the exam)
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The port numbers you need to know are on the objectives PDF on the CompTIA website. As Cisco Inferno says DNS uses UDP:53 for queries and TCP:53 for zone transfers.

Best way to memorize them is to use flash cards then over time you will just remember them - same as if I say peanut butter and ____ sandwich. Link the numbers with the services and then you will remember when you need them.

You don't need to remember the transport method for each service for the exam according to the exam objectives, but you need to know about TCP & UDP.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Do what I do.

Write that table neatly on a sheet of paper. 2 columns. TCP and UDP.
    Then tape it up on your wall right outside of the view of your monitor. It'll stick.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Write it out a lot of times. When it comes to the exam, just write it out on the laminated paper they give you for notes. Free your mind from the pressure of recalling it during a timed test.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's exactly what I did. I looked up the ports before I took off and wrote down some of them on that paper.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    The port numbers you need to know are on the objectives PDF on the CompTIA website. As Cisco Inferno says DNS uses UDP:53 for queries and TCP:53 for zone transfers.

If the content appears on the objectives, be prepared and know it.

Best advice, and truly the only advice.

You may play the odds and take your chance as to whether or not you will see it on your exam, but no one is permitted to discuss their specific exams, so you truly cannot know if what appears frequently and what does not.

Now, are there things that a tech uses more frequently, yes, but it is up you to decide how prepared you want to be for the test, the other tests you will likely take (thinking Cisco) and your daily job activities. If you spend a bunch looking stuff up, you will find you are not very efficient at your job.

Learn it now ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Thanks for the help guys. I checked the objectives and apparently I do need to know 3389. And I'm trying using an old method back when my parents were punishing me: writing each one over and over again. And then use another elementary school method, using flash cards.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Repetition is not a punishment method, it is one of many methods of study.

There will always be areas of a particular topic that are less appealing than some others, if you find it a chore, than perhaps you have not found your true calling?

That stuff that many complain about "memorizing" and wasting time "studying" is what makes a good tech great and a "let me google that..." Tech just okay. Time is money, and personally, I do not have time to look up small details, some stuff is simply worth knowing, so I can get on with the task.

Good luck!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
    Is anyone else bothered by seeing port 443 refereed to as SSL instead of HTTPS? Many layer 7 applications can be run over SSL not just HTTP.
  • Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    I've been asked the secure port for both SMTP and Pop3 in an interview before - They are quite common as well.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Repetition is not a punishment method, it is one of many methods of study.

There will always be areas of a particular topic that are less appealing than some others, if you find it a chore, than perhaps you have not found your true calling?

That stuff that many complain about "memorizing" and wasting time "studying" is what makes a good tech great and a "let me google that..." Tech just okay. Time is money, and personally, I do not have time to look up small details, some stuff is simply worth knowing, so I can get on with the task.

Good luck!

I'm sorry I meant it was punishment when my parents were making me do it when I had done something bad when I was a kid.
  • Options
    I passed with 729! The simulations, however, did knock me around but I did pass. Thanks for all of your help!