Options

A+ Home Study for 13 year old

jonwinterburnjonwinterburn Member Posts: 161 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi there.

My son is 13, and he's interested in learning about computers and networks. I've worked in IT for 15 years, so I can teach him quite a bit, but I'd rather formalise it by using a book and videos, and work through these with him methodically. I'll be providing him with computer components so he can build his own PC from scratch.

He's a bright boy, and I figure if he (with my support) learns and studies toward A+ certification, he could sit the exams when he's ready; it's never too early to learn about computing.

So my question is: which book would be best to follow? I've had experience with Darril Gibson's InfoSec books, and really like his style. But lots of people like Michael Meyers' book, and there are others. Any suggestions? We'll be using Professor Messer's YouTube A+ channel as well, plus hands-on practice.

Thanks

Jon

Comments

• Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    I think that's a great way to challenge your son. The Exam Cram book is great, but I think the Michael Meyer's book would be best if you want to make sure he fully comprehends everything that the A+ is geared towards.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Like father, like son.. eh?

A+ expires after 3 years so I'd really wonder about the usefulness of giving CompTIA your hard earned cash if there is no immediate return on investment. I think Mike Meyer's book is the best one that's out there - don't forget to go over the exam objectives if you are going to go ahead with the exam.

Just remember that hardware is being commoditised these days and tablets are more and more prevalent. What I'm saying is - software development could be an even greater skill for your son to pick up. Kids still have to be kids.. and I think it's cool that you are helping him with a career...

But, when I was 13 I was coding simple games in VisualBasic and although I didn't follow a career in to software development I did learn a lot about computers. But by the time I was in college VisualBasic had long since gone and so had the hardware that ran it.

It's just something to think about.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it's ambitious but I don't think I would subject a 13 year old to that type of reading unless it's his idea.
    Videos and build a computer definitely. Kids love youtube and will probably be doing a lot of learning that way in the near future.

Either way good luck to both of you.
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not really too ambitious since I had 'A+' level computer knowledge when I was 12/13 but that's because I used to speand every minute I could get on one...

Problem is why would you sit an exam with a 3 year expiry when you're 13/14?? I even held off on my CCNA studies until I was in 2nd year of university so it wasn't wasted..
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Ah, I could be mistaken, but I do not recall an age limit for this site, so why doesn't your son sign up if he is interested?

Meyers text is the best for most people, but unless your son enjoys technical reading, my guess is he won't find it helpful.

Why push him into the A+? If he enjoys computing, that may not be the path he seeks out. Certainly, could build a PC to get familiar with the hardware, but these days, its so, plug and go, that it takes no time to assemble it and get using the hardware.

I would recommend you let him be curious. Investing in books, and setting up a routine will likely kill off any long-term interest. Let him ask about topics, and guide him to where he can find his own answers. Learning to solve ones own problems is critical for IT work, and in life, period.

Good Luck!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with Asif Dasl about obtaining the A+. This is not recommended for a 13 year old to take. This can cause frustration because of the examination experience which can cause non needed stress and frustration and if a failed exam should happen, this could cause your son to lose interest in computers. With CompTIAs new exam 200-801/802, there are performance based testing which can ultimately cause tension come exam day. I would recommend doing some research before you decide to take this exam. You may consider this certification if your son is just 13 years old (should you chose to take the certification route)old: Strata IT Fundamentals I'm no parent but also keep this in mind. If I was a PC shop owner or a parent, I would not want a 13 year old who is A+ certified to work in my repair shop. They are just a liability and even that, a 13 year old wouldn't be able to work in a PC repair shop anyway due to the legal age of working which I believe is 16 in the USA (UK is different but same principle applies.) I hope this helps.
    Also, these exams are not like middle school exams where you know "exactly" what is going to be asked and there is no C- or C on the exam, just pass or fail even if it is off by a few points(it is unfortunate but that is life.)
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    I might let him study, but I wouldn't have him take the certification. It's a good way to get a solid base knowledge of computers. Professor Messer has a really good A+ section that he could sit down and watch.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    jonwinterburnjonwinterburn Member Posts: 161 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for all your helpful advice, it's really appreciated. Certainly, the exams are not essential by any means - and there's no way he'd take them at his current age. This is a part time thing, so I was thinking within a couple of years he might be ready. By then, if he's still interested, he could move on quite quickly to Network+ etc. There's two reasons I considered getting him to do A+. First, systematic learning is better than sporadic learning - just from me - as I'm not a teacher, and I wouldn't want him to miss out stuff I take for granted. Secondly, getting work as a young man (16-19) is not easy (certainly in the UK), and I figured if he could work in a junior IT role, it'd be better than flipping burgers. Ultimately, he may choose a different path, but there's no harm in a backup plan. He could do this part time while at university, or full time while trying to get the job he wants.

I agree with the point that too much technical knowledge could kill his interest, that's a good point, and one I hadn't considered. Regarding obsolete hardware, I don't think there's any harm in learning how computers work. As for coding, I tried to get him to try, but he hated it. He likes doing things with his hands, which is why I thought A+ would be useful.

Thanks again for all your help :)
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all your helpful advice, it's really appreciated. Certainly, the exams are not essential by any means - and there's no way he'd take them at his current age. This is a part time thing, so I was thinking within a couple of years he might be ready. By then, if he's still interested, he could move on quite quickly to Network+ etc. There's two reasons I considered getting him to do A+. First, systematic learning is better than sporadic learning - just from me - as I'm not a teacher, and I wouldn't want him to miss out stuff I take for granted. Secondly, getting work as a young man (16-19) is not easy (certainly in the UK), and I figured if he could work in a junior IT role, it'd be better than flipping burgers. Ultimately, he may choose a different path, but there's no harm in a backup plan. He could do this part time while at university, or full time while trying to get the job he wants.

I agree with the point that too much technical knowledge could kill his interest, that's a good point, and one I hadn't considered. Regarding obsolete hardware, I don't think there's any harm in learning how computers work. As for coding, I tried to get him to try, but he hated it. He likes doing things with his hands, which is why I thought A+ would be useful.

Thanks again for all your help :)
    The thing with 'systematic learning' is that it's basically learning book knowledge and you can end up massive holes in your knowledge.. the best way to learn something is if you enjoy it and study from various sources and not strictly the knowledge required to merely pass an exam.

7-8 years ago when I was the same sort of age as much as I loved computers / networking I was still distracted by 'being cool' and hanging around with 'tough' people. Encouragement is one thing, forcing someone to do something they don't enjoy is only going to backfire.
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I was about 10 my favorite book to read was Que's Upgrading & Repairing PCs. So I see no harm in letting your child have an interest in computers as long as he keeps up with other schoolwork. Think about this, it might actually help him in finding friends with the same interest and allow them to build on those skills.
  • Options
    ChamayoChamayo Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think what you are requesting he do is a little too hard.

Since you are a professional of IT I would recommend that you get him a PC building book or set of videos for him to build his own computer. Get him to watch the videos or read the PC building book and when he is ready.... buy him the PC parts, and obviously walk him through so he won't waste money. Once he is able to build his PC he can become acquainted with the basics of installing the software. Getting to install the network and configure things such as the bios and encryption should be a lot of fun.

Remember that the A+ Certification is meant for individuals who have had 6 months to 1 year of working with computers in the past. Going the way of building a computer is a good investment for his future.

When he is ready I suggest he reads the Microsoft CompTIA A+ Certification Study Training Kit, but anything else would be fine.
    Perhaps getting him to read official Microsoft documents is a great step to getting him interested in Microsoft certification such as MCSD C# Programming??

LOL "Yo son if you study building a computer... I will buy you the parts to build one on your birthday or Christmas. So start studying!" I can already imagine him flipping the book or watching the videos to take notes.