RHCSA resources

Hi Guys,

RHCSA (perhaps RHCE too) are next on my certification list. I've recently took a job at an MSP which mostly involves Linux so I need to step up my game a bit. I've got working experience with Linux for about 5 years, mostly in the web / MySQL related branch.

Which study resources are available for RHCSA?

Thanks,

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No advice on this for you but you are kicking some goals mate! The NP's almost done eh, nice work! Congrats on the new gig too!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I'll also be pursuing this cert in the coming months. It would be nice to have an up to date book to reference and possibly videos as well.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I know Jang is updating his book, but we are still a few months away for that. There are a lot of changes with RHEL7 that will affect the material you'll need to learn. I'll put together some resources today...stay tuned!
    I know Jang is updating his book, but we are still a few months away for that. There are a lot of changes with RHEL7 that will affect the material you'll need to learn. I'll put together some resources today...stay tuned!

Thanks!icon_thumright.gif
  • dirkxxvidirkxxvi Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Verities wrote: »
    I'll also be pursuing this cert in the coming months. It would be nice to have an up to date book to reference and possibly videos as well.

I just passed the RHCSA yesterday on RHEL 7 so here's my take. To my knowledge there isn't an up to date book for the RHCSA nor the RHCE on RHEL 7 like there is for RHEL 6 with Michael Jang and a couple others. Most likely because they started administering test on RHEL 7 relatively recently (spring of this year if I had to guess).

However this site (Cert Depot) ended up being possibly the most valuable resource I came across in regards for testing on RHEL 7.
    Theres a sample exam, a list of changes (like no more HTTP and FTP setup), and tutorials for tons of things related to the test. One of the better things I came across on the site was a guide showing how to configure a local LDAP server. Though creating an LDAP server is not an RHCSA requirement candidates are expected to know how to connect and work with and subsequently existing LDAP server.

The main things to remember is RHEL 7 uses systemd so theres a couple of changes. So for example iptable commands won't survive a reboot without disabling firewalld. Also root passwords can't be reset anymore by starting in single user mode so I'd recommenced reading this guide.

Now remember you can still take the test on RHEL 6 if you set up an individual exam on a Kiosk, rather than more traditional way of testing on Fridays, which is done to cap off the official Red Hat week long boot camp courses where you test with people who took the course earlier that week. Personally I would recommend the Kiosk exam regardless as its the same price ($400) and you can arrange your own date and time at an available training facility. Not to mention you don't have to worry about other people typing to loud or mouth breathing. Plus in my case it was kind of nice to think out loud as I was basically alone in a room with 3 cameras on me to obviously make sure I wasn't cheating.

As I now know from a weird set of circumstances that led to a couple of rescheduling after having originally signed up for a classroom exam for Late August, Red Hat partners with a company called Innovative Exams to administer the kiosk exams so basically you sign up and pay for the kiosk exam on Red Hat's website then set an appointment on the Innovative Exams website.
    In regards to resources. Aside from the Cert Depot I pretty much relied a lot on VTC's RHCSA prep course though remember it requires a monthly $membership
    Thanks for all that info. I'll definitely check out those resources.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Excellent! Having a starting point is always helpful. Thanks again.