CEH Difficulty

kbpatilkbpatil Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
How difficult is CEH certification compare to other certification like GCIH and GCIA?

Comments

• WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    As someone who has taken all 3, I can say CEH was the easiest even though it was closed book. The questions are basics and as long as you study for the test and do hands on with the tools you can pass... For me, the deepness of questions in GCIH and GCIA really make you think and work for the answers. Even though the tests are open book, open notes, you need to know the tools and the material on a much deeper level than you do on the CEH exam....
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It wasn't too hard in my opinion. I thought of it as Security+ with a little more emphasis on policy, procedure, and a general knowledge of tools.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • kbpatilkbpatil Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @WilliamK99 - I just passed GCIA and was looking for a certification I can give within 2 months, so I was thinking about CEH. Have to wait little while to go for another SANS course. Thanks for the input guys.
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Kbpatil, please share your thoughts on your experience with GCIA?
    @khaos1911 - It was my first GCIA certification so cannot compare it with other certification. It was a tough exam to be honest. You should be good with your index and knowledge of packet capture, DOS attacks, TCPDUMP output, Snort, BRO. Scenario based question ( these will be a lot) is the one you will scratch your brains with and index won't help you there.
  • bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    WilliamK99 wrote: »
    As someone who has taken all 3, I can say CEH was the easiest even though it was closed book. The questions are basics and as long as you study for the test and do hands on with the tools you can pass... For me, the deepness of questions in GCIH and GCIA really make you think and work for the answers. Even though the tests are open book, open notes, you need to know the tools and the material on a much deeper level than you do on the CEH exam....

Clear answers on the CEH.
    Is Matt Walkers book enough to pass this test and I can convince my company to buy a practice test for me. Would that be good enough? or is there anything I should add to the list?
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    kbpatil,

I had other training and experience, but for the CEH specifically all I used was Matt Walkers book and passed without a problem.
  • trueshrewtrueshrew Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kbpatil,

Took a bootcamp, but read Matt Walker's v. 8 book before going to bootcamp. Bought the Boson practice test and found it not very useful. Some of the Boson questions are way out there. The Boson test really killed my confidence. Then again, a training center test for C|EH and a test center version can be quite different. Sat the exam in mid-July 2014.

Download Kali Linux and spend a little time working with the tools mentioned in Walker's book. The paper version of Walker's book comes with a practice test. It can't hurt to try a few practice tests before spending $600 ($500 + $100 EC-Council qualification fee) for a test. Maybe someone else has a suggestion other than Boson. The C | EH practice test book by McGraw-Hill (same publisher as Matt Walker) does not seem to be new enough to cover v.8.
  • Bl@ckbriarBl@ckbriar Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys
    I am new to this forum. I am thinking of taking the CEH exam using the ilearning option from EC-Council. Just wanted to ask if anyone else has used it also ? Because its official training material, should cover all of the exam blueprint I hope.