spreading yourself to thin in terms of certs

Hi,

I am torn between weather to go down Cisco route or the Microsoft route. In the end I am currently studying both. However my eyes seem bigger than my mind (if that’s even a term) in that I have now started watching some exchange cbts..On top of all this I have a degree (long term) in the works. Do you think it’s needed to have to know both Microsoft and Cisco stuff or just specialize in one? Does anyone else feel any pressure to take on more than they can chew at one time?

Comments

• canismaxcanismax Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can do both tracks just fine, but I do recommend you do one after the other rather than at the same time. If the topics were closely related then it wouldn't be too much of a problem, but since they're seperate (some overlap but not enough) its going to be hard to make associations when your studying both.
  • rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
    are there many professionals out there who stick to either microsoft certs or only cisco certs? if you where a cisco man would you ever be frowned on for not knowing microsoft stuff?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It would depend on what kind of job you were applying for.

Which do you LIKE more? If you enjoy working with Windows, fixing computers, if supporting user access to resources on the network, etc appeals to you then go Microsoft. If you want the guy who is responsible for making sure everything can communicate, do Cisco. If you want to be both, start with some microsoft first, (maybe MCSA), then study networking.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    rockstar81 wrote:
    Does anyone else feel any pressure to take on more than they can chew at one time?

Definately me. I'm doing the MCSA along with Server+ at the same time. I'm trying to jam in as many as I can as fast as I can to change jobs.

I've been in the IT game for about 11 years now and am wanting to get recognition of my experince. I'm kickin' myself for not having started earlier.

My main challenge is getting time off work to do an exam.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    plettner wrote:
    I've been in the IT game for about 11 years now and am wanting to get recognition of my experince. I'm kickin' myself for not having started earlier.

I hear you man, I hear you.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You could try doing what a lot of people (including me) tend to do. Seesaw between stages of each path. This is what I'm doing:

MCSA (70-290 and 70-291 are done, just have to get off my butt and do 70-270)

Up next, I'm going for the CCNA. After the Cisco material is thuroughly burned into my retinas, I'm getting back on the road to MCSE: Security. After that beast is slain, (and several months of doing nothing but drinking and relaxing,) I'm going to work my way up to the Cisco professional-level, either CCNP or CCSP, depending on where my interests take me.

The future from there? Who knows. I might take a break and rest on my laurels for a little while, I might work and see what comes up, I might do CCIE or CISSP (or both.) Or something completely different might come along and sweep me away. For now, though, I'm going to digest just enough of each road to not get completely burned out on either one. There's going to be some more CompTIA in there, I'm sure, and probably something along the lines of Sun or Linux certification, but the focus(es) will be Microsoft and Cisco.

I hope that gives you some ideas, and by all means, don't be afraid to research your options. Good luck with your certifications, with your studies, and with everything they bring you.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.