Taking a Cert your interested in or for career progression?

bugsbugs Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

So, for the last few months of been looking at Certs and I cant seem to stick with one. I first started on the CCNA and then discovered the Microsoft Virtual Academy so switched to a MTA, then switched again to 70-410 in view of moving on to the MCSA.

I have bought books for the CCNA and 70-410 but, struggle with reading them. I have found the MVA video's brilliant and genuinely feel I have learned and easily get 100% in the quizzes.

So my questions are is it better doing a cert on a subject I have a real passion for like AWS, rather than a cert like CCNA which I know would benefit my career but I find hard going.

secondly can you study for a cert using mainly online video and some light reading?

Comments

• dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    I think over time you do a little of both, sometimes you are driven to do something for a company i.e. VCP but you will also find benefit in doing what interests you and ultimately that is what should drive your career choices.

From a study aspect it is a case of finding what works for you, I always use a combination of materials if available; books, videos and the most fun for me is building labs where possible.
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have difficulty reading I suggest you work on a good labbing solution. Videos are great and I learned to appreciate them this year when I started my Cisco study. However videos always leave things out to give you an overview. I like to watch the videos then read a book myself.

In my opinion reading is the only way to cover some of the material. Some of the more experienced members might correct me on this but I have a feeling as your technical career advances being able to read up on topics quickly probably becomes more important.

Good Luck!
  • powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    If you have difficulty reading I suggest you work on a good labbing solution. Videos are great and I learned to appreciate them this year when I started my Cisco study. However videos always leave things out to give you an overview. I like to watch the videos then read a book myself.

In my opinion reading is the only way to cover some of the material. Some of the more experienced members might correct me on this but I have a feeling as your technical career advances being able to read up on topics quickly probably becomes more important.

Good Luck!

Yes, to excel, you will need to read tech material and love it like a good novel. This is impossible if you aren't truly interested. It's something you can't teach or train yourself to do, eventually you'll find a track that resonates and the reading will come easier.... or it won't. If it doesn't, then what you're working on isn't for you. Just don't think your path is set because of the first book you read... it takes time to understand where you need to go.

Now that the wisdom is out of the way... something more direct. If you think you're going to succeed in any tech job by using only the knowledge that you gained from watching videos over the weekend, you are wrong (so wrong). If you can't dig in and do research on a problem, you will hit a point in your career in which growth stops, because you will be completely useless at higher levels. Still, if you're new and just need something to introduce you, videos are great.